Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool's Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by vlad335, May 20, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Just started getting into Tool after my drummer turned me on to them. Honestly, I have never heard them before last week. I don't even know the bassist's name...

My question is... What equipment does this guy use? ( Basses/Amps/Speakers, etc.) I just got an RBI and using this thru a Crown amp and SWR Goliath3, my sound is VERY simular. Not that equipment is all that but I am interested.

I've done Google searches as well as searches in this forum and can find nothing.

2. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Wow! now thats a reply!

Will definatly have to check them out. I must have been living under a rock. I am trying to learn 46 and 2 right now. Can play the same notes but having trouble with the "feel" My drummer has it down perfect.(The Bastard)

Love his distortion sounds in that song. You say he uses Boss effects. Will have to look into this. Best bass overdrive I have ever heard. Never been a fan of bass distortion personally.

Thanks again for your outstanding response. Have a great day!

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thats is accurate but there are some things that are off.

paul used an ovation magnum for opiate. i have videos, trust me. all of justins basses are wal mach 2's, he only has one mach 3. in addtions to the effects you listed, he has a modded rat and a boss spectrum and possibly an envelope filter and a boss eq. he also has demeter pre amps. but the whammy he only uses on eulogy, third eye, schism and lateralis. what you hear on the patient is the tone knob on his bass.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You could have done a search, saving everyone some time. He has been discussed many times.
    On the recording, Justin used a fretless on "Lataralus". Also, live, he does use a wah for that song, however, he has said he used his tone knob in the studio,,,,maybe both.

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I've seen them 3 times and one of those they did The Patient. It's not a Whammy in the opening. Learn about Wal's electronics and you'll understand how he does that on-board. Wals have two filters rather than boost/cuts like most active basses. The only way one could get a Whammy to do wah was if one had had a Digitech Whammy Wah, which, AFAIK, Justin doesn't.

He also uses the Whammy quite a bit, and to great effect, on Disposition.

Edit: I agree with Polly about doing a search.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Or, I should say, he used a fretless for that ONE part in Lateralus.

7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Polly, are you talking about the "With my feet upon the ground...' Part? I've always pondered whether he used the Whammy or a fretless. That's a hard sound to gte with the Whammy, but I just figured he was really slick with knob-twiddling. Which he is. But not in this instance, apparently. Thanks.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea i gorgot disposistion. but true it is the bass in the patient. ive seen them live yes. and he doesnt have a whammy/wah. he has a bass whammy which has no wah function on it. i agree with CJ here.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I hate to revive a thread, but better than starting a new one i'd say.

What is this talk of Whammy? Which songs and which parts? I heard The Patient but I can't point it out. I've always played The Patient without a Whammy...

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    there is absolutley no whammy in the patient. none.

songs that i know of he uses whammy on: eulogy, third eye, schism, lateralis, disposistion...thats it far as i know.

11. HUGE BUMP.

I can hear on Ticks & Leeches, During the quite bridge, Some very quiet random whails under Adams playing. It may be Justin doing the knob swelling on his bass, But it seems slightly familiar to the whail on Third Eye, minus distortion, Its hard to explain with words really, But im sure you know what im talking about, It last from about 3:25 to about 4:12 on Ticks & Leeches.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Uhm, your sig... doesn't make sense. My guess is you either meant, "I didn't know all guitarists. Where? That's stupid..." or "I didn't know all guitarists were that stupid."

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah... it's like calling somone "retarted" or something when you spell a word wrong...

14. Indeed I mispelled it, Now that I read, I dont like it at all, Its been changed by the time you read this.