Tools for proper setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Feb 9, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

From long ago, I've tried to keep my bass in good shape and after years of reading (including the excellent Gary Willis tutorial) I think I can perform a decent setup job (at least to my instrument), but my only tools for this are my eyes, ears and hands. I'd like to know what tools should I get for a "professional" setup of my instrument. I'm not talking about cutting the nut or stuff like that. Just getting the right measurements. What seems the most difficult part of this to me is to get the strings to follow the neck radius, since that is supposed to be done for an even volume (I think). What should I use for measuring a neck's radius? for the distances between pickups and strings? Is there a tool for measuring neck's relief aside from sighting it? In other words I'd like you Talkbassers give me advice on a complete toolkit for keeping my bass (and maybe others') healthy (no routing or drilling). Thank you very much in advance.
  2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I believe a feeler gauge can be used, but so could a ruler.
  3. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    Hi Alvaro,
    You can pick up a few inexpensive tools from Stewart Macdonald guitar shop supply... You will find they have a set of radius gauges you can use to determint the correct radius and then set the strings. They also have a set of feeler gauges you can ust to measure relief and finally a 6" steel rule to accuratly measure string height...
    I hope this helps helps you out a bit.

Jon M.