Tool's Lateralus

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Hello...

Since I know many of you TB'ers are Tool fans , I thought I'd review the CD...

I bought this cd on a limb,I was originally going to get Incubus' Morning View but I took my chance with Lateralus.I mainly bought it because the 2 songs that I have heard(Schism and Lateralus) from the CD were very well written and sweet.

I am on The Grudge at the moment,and I am really feeling the diverseness. I have a feeling this CD will be different from all other,I am excited.:)

Please express your opinion on this CD,thank you.

Full review when I have listened to the whole CD.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like the grudge.

The rest is pretty good too, There are a bunch of theories surrounding the CD like, such and such tracks played in such and such order coincide with such and such number theory and yadda yadda.

but I don't really care to look into all that stuff :p
  3. I still have my theory that this is album is really a journey of a person's life from childhood to death. I won't bore you with it now, but if I explained it to you, it's pretty convincing.
  4. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    hey freaky fender some of tools stuff will make you think that, theres so mant things going on in their songs.

id recommend buying all their albums, then you can tell me the songs i have on this burnt cd, i know the grudge, lateralus, parabol, parabola, schizm......sober....uhh. yeah.

seriously i dont know all the names but i do know that is one brilliant band, and their side project a perfect circle is touring australia well as queens of the stoneage and system of a down.

keep on listening
    HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR EVERYONE, an dont get tooooo drunk cause we all know what happens then.
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I love this album. It gives me hope that maybe originality has a place in the popular music scene. I'd like to see some bands doing things like Tool- not copies, but thinking along the same lines (pushing art for art's sake, not for personal gain; making a statement with a record).
  6. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    i swear this record came out two and a half years ago...

surely someone would have reviewed it by now...
  7. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Awesome record! Great way to get into Tool.

Radiohead and Dream Theater push rock to the edge, but Radiohead can get too weird for fans even, and DT isn't well known to the public.
  8. I'd like to hear about the theory on how this record is someone's death.

seems intereting.

I am on reflection,and I hear an odd Middle Eastern like instrument. I am feeling this album...
  9. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Lateralus is one of my favorite "recent" albums. Everything about is just so complex and interesting. Very cool disk.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes i had a site that explained it all but thats no matter. The cd is amazing though.!!
  11. Yeah,FreakyFender broke down his life-death theory with me,and It was very convincing,I dunno...after learning the theory of it I feel so much "closer" to it. *shrug*

Great CD it is,I fell asleep to it tonight had 2 weird dreams though:p
  12. waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
  13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Also, if you're interested in interpretations of Tool's music, and insight into pretty much everything Tool's ever said or done, often dissected in painstaking detail, try , the Opinion section. It can be an overwhelming amount of information and opinion, so don't get in over your head.
  14. I developed it myself and listening to it alot over the summer, but I'm sure there are different versions of it out there.
  15. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have no interest in attempting to dissect the album's supposed "meaning", all I will say is that Lateralus is the most cohesive, mature, beautiful and technical album I've ever heard. Fits like a glove!
  16. waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Would you mind posting it? I've read similar theories relating to Aenema.
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I love this album when im in that mood, so laid back but heavy; but i dont understand how it could mean birth -> death to Freaky Fender, unless you have them in different order: this way, the song Lateralus is quite odd at the end
    ("Black and white are
    all I see
    in my infancy...")
    also Reflections, Triad wouldnt fit there then; Schism is the falling apart of relationships (as we all can hear) Parabol is more like love, so then these would make it a backwards order:

Lateralus -> Parabol -> Schism -> The patient, Watch the weather change -> the acoustic guitar part of Eon blue apocalypse

Btw Eon blue apocalypse looks like a picture or a short scene to me (like rising sun, nature, but then you start to feel something empty and cold: painfully realize that it is all empty, no living creatures neraby: you are perfectly alone...

Btw2 my favourites are the French symbolists, so im good at analyzing
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I had always thought that the album used each song to describe a different kind of relationship.

Wasnt there also a theory that it was about a guy who was abducted by aliens?
  19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You mean the last song/track?

I think that was only to add to the somewhat unhuman, alien atmosphere (like the videos of Schism and Parabola)

20. Lateralus IMHO, is more about this guy falling in love, having a baby, flashing back to his childhood (or infancy) and at the end of the song, his significant other living him.