Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tools of a session bass player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 7, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Here is my first multi forum thread. What bass guitar would cover you in most situations? What do most session musicians use?

2. P-bass or Musicman....

Dunno what the other guys think.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A Fender or high-end Fender clone (almost) always works. Their tone usually fits perfectly with most kinds of music, and recording engineers with good experience would almost instinctively know how to catch a good sound on tape, since they probably have recorded plenty of Fenders in the past.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    A good Jazz bass style bass with onboard EQ.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I have heard from some recording engineers that they prefer passive basses for recording - they say they are easier to work with. But an onboard EQ can be very useful live. Win-win situation if it's bypassable. :D

6. hey, this is kinda relevant for me (i'll go check out the amp version of this thread in a min)
    i'v just got my first 'session' if u wanna call it that, its a live gig, 1 off, and i gotta after being refered bu my teacher, nice huh :)

i agree with the p-bass j-bass thing, certain people expect classic basses etc...i however have to concetrate on getting a new amp for this occasion (what???:D, if thats not a good excuse for new gear, what is? :)

*Si*

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Most engineers do prefer passive basses, and P or J's are the norm...but this is mainly because they are soundfs the engineers are used to working with, and as such they are able to get your bass tone (or, some cases, THEIR bass tone) very quickly. In sessions, time is amajor priority, and not just YOUR time, and you are not, as a bassist, allowed the luxury of hours to dial in your sound. In most cases, if the you and the engineer cannot get an acceptbale bass sound in five minutes then you are out and replaced with someone who can (usually toting a passive P or J).
    This is changing, though, as more and more studios and engineers are becoming more versed in working with "boutique" and other newer bass designs. Many studios now even have eq settings for graphite basses in their "directory".
    Max

8. I would have though a Jazz or P-Bass. I agree that engineers/producers prefer them passive cos then they can mess around and get the tone the artist wants.

sim

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    true, when i worked and recorded in studio i have had the same experience, my passive and completely stock precision was loved by all recording engineers. i said a jazz with active electronics just to add even more verstaility to the bass. i just forgot to write bypassable active electronics. for sure.