Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tools of a session bass player

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 7, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Here is my first multi forum thread. Which bass amp is thought of as the standard? Whats the bass amp that will be found in most studios? What cuts it for most situations live or in the studio?

2. Hey
    i'm also interested in this info (just replyed to the Bass version of the thread)
    i'm not sure about studio situations, but live (which is what i'm more interested in i would probly suggest, as a setup, 700watt or more head, a 410 and a 115, or to 410's, i'll probly be looking for a 410 just at the min (new session coming up, need bigger amp)
    as for makes, i'm not sure, and would like help with this to

*Si*

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I am a session player. In the studio, the maxim is "smaller is better", and quite often I do sessions where a high quality DI is much more appropriate than an amp. Current DIs on the A list:
    Raven Labs DI and MDB1
    Avalon M5
    Fishman Pro EQ Platinum Bass
    Countryman (kinda the "standard")

For amps, though, it really depends upon the given situation. Vinatge Ampeg B15s are, or course, still very popular, and fortunately many well-equipped studios have them...the same goes for SVTs. And this all hinges upon the needs of the session, availabilty of mics and mic-ing enviroment.

THE studio amp is still a Walter Woods head thru either 2x8, 1x10 or 1x12 boxes, run with both DI and a slightly off axis mic.

My amp of choice is an older model SWR Baby Blue Head, which is sometimes refered to as "the poor man's Walter Woods". This amp is billed as a "studio reference bass amplifier", and while is is not "totally" flat...it is VERY true and transparent. At 150w in 8ohms it is not incredibly powerful, but boasts ample headroom and an incredibly articulate eq section with some very versatile patching possibilities (including the option of running a "MoreMe" type headphone mix!). In most studio situations, anything over 150w is overkill and not neccessary. You might find taking a 700w amp and multiple cabs into a recording session to be an engineers nightmare. Far too much power, and too many speakers to mic without running into some serious phase cancellations.
    I use my BB as my main solo performance amp also,with varying speakers for whichever room I might be playing, and find the clarity and transparency a plus, but it might not be the best all-around performance amp. Tho it does have a tube pre amp section, it is set for clean, and clear tone...not overdriven.
    Max

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Errmm ...otherwise known as multiple posting and against the guidelines?

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I'm sorry didn't realize but each is a different question just same title is this wrong?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    How much do those countyman di's cost.
    Would it be worth buying 2 different di's like the sansamp for that vintage tube sound and then a clean one like the countryman or new fishman.

Great review on the fishman btw

Whats your fav studio di? and whats your fav live di? for going into a pa.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Answers:

1. Ampeg B15
    2. Ampeg B15
    3. NOT the Ampeg B15 (not loud enough for live use these days).

Max,

Do you really see many Walter Woods amps in studios? Heck I barely see them ANYWHERE (and I OWN one)...most common comment I get is "wow, what is that? I've NEVER seen one."

The SWR Baby Blue (I also own one of these) has the same problem as the B15, limited maximum volume. For many gigs it's quite enough, but not for loud rock and roll.

Like Max mentioned, many sessions are ampless. I've only recorded through an amp once, all my other sessions have been 100% DI.

8. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I know that a lot of studios have B-15's and Ampegs. Some will have anything ranging from Aguilar to Eden to SWR to Peavey.

The tools of a studio bassist to me seem to be an excellent, high quality, and QUIET preamp, a good compressor, good tuner (for obvious reasons), and it's good to have your own good DI box in case the studio has one that you don't feel is high enough quality.

In many cases you may find that you don't even need an amp or cabinet. Especially when time is of the essence, an engineer is not gonna fool around mic'ing your cab trying to get a good sound when he can just plug you straight into the board and twiddle with it later if necessary.

9. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

not many studios have WW amps, but many session players do.

DIs: I believe countryman DI run around $200.
    My faves would be the DI on my Raven Labs MDB1,
    Avalon M5...and a tube ADL i got to use a while back ($$$$).
    For live stuff I have been trying out this new Fishman, and it really is very nice. The features on the unit make it quite flexible, which is good for my solo stuff.
    Max