toools-what is needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jublian, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Ok so i'm making my first instrument and i'm wondering what sort of tools i'm going to be needing.

its a solid body electric, ash, i have ordered the neck and i want to do all the carving/shaping and routing if possible.

i'm going to be "acquiring" a jigsaw and i have a handy selection of wood files (18 in total) but thats the extent of my tools.

i can borrow some tools from either school or a friend but if this porject turns out well i'lll be making quite a few more so what should i be purchasing first?
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Well, I'll assume $$ is tight. Jigsaw will work. Bandsaw would be preferable.
    You'll def. need a good router. It's a very important tool to have, along with pattern bits (bits with bearings for gliding along templates)
    router bits
    a drill of sorts

that might be all you need just to make the body.

Lots of sandpaper
    then things like templates
    are you joining two pieces of wood together?? You might have to have them joined tight...
  3. ok, i glued the wood together, its pretty tight and i left it in the clamps for around 48 hours, i SHOULD be getting a jig saw tomorrow but if that fails i saw a nice one for 25 bucks at a local pawn shop.
    the router, hmm i think ill have to buy it, or hire one

how do routers work any way??
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    it's pretty simple. You turn it on, and whatever 'bit' you put in it turns around REAL fast, cutting away the wood in the shape/style of the bit.
    Just play around on srap wood first. Get an idea of the difference between routing from left to right vs. right to left.
    Don't try to route out TOO much wood at one time.
    Just take the wood away in little layers, as you can set the depth of the cut accordingly.
  5. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

Your router is your best friend. you'll use it for practically everything. obviously you'll need other tools, but i do not belive it's possible to complete a project without some type
    of router.

good luck man.
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    "Need"...a hefty word, nah?
    I guess you have what you need, but could use some more to ease the work.
    Jigsaw is OK. Router is good, but in my experience, you can live without it (I have one...). I don't have a good drill press, and that is about to drive me bazookas!

With a drill press you can not only make holes. You can use it for sanding the edges, making knobs, pressing frets...etc. A decent drill press costs about the same money as a router, and is as good to throw money on. But it takes some more room...

BTW, get a router, too. And keep your fingers away!
  7. ok, i'm about to buy spend about Au$100 on tools within the next few weeks.

i'll look around some second hand shops for routers and jigsaws but a routers is now my main "target".

by the way, does a router work like a drill in the way the bit rotates? If so how can it make angleS?
  8. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    it cannot make angles unless you're using an angled bit or a template that is "angled" somehow.
    It is like a drill in that you turn it on and the object (in this case a bit) spins, BUTTTTTT........the object spins MUCH faster in a router than a drill.
    (*at least with mine)
    YOu need a firm grip on the router......once you begin to practice using one, you'll understand what it does. You also definitely need some EYE/FACE protection when using a router. goggles, mask, etc.
    I like to use ear plugs/covers too because my Makita router is loud as hell and spins like the tasmanian devil.
    You can never be too careful using this tool. It could potentially do some real damage.
  9. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I santa cruz, California (another good surf spot, though)