1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Toothpics? I dont get it

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Looks like the hole in my bass in which the strap screw goes in is stripped... So I searched and I came across this many times, "Put some toothpics in it"... Okay :confused: .... Can anybody explain this to me?

2. I dont get it, I stuff the hole with toothpicks? Then the hole will be filled and it wont go in :S.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    The toothpicks get tacky when you cover them with glue.

1. Trim a few down to the approximate depth of the hole. (Enough of 'em to line at least half the hole.)

2. Cover them with water soluable wood glue (Elmers works great). Yes, this will be a bit messy.

3. Stick them in the hole, making sure that they are stuck to the sides of the hole.

4. Screw in the screw.

5. Using a damp cloth, wipe off any excess glue from the finish of your bass.

6. Let it dry over night.

This has always worked for me. Some of the more woodworking-minded members may have more tips to add.

:D

Joe.

4. So should I fill the all of the hole, or just the extra space?

5. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Don't fill the hole.

You just basically want to take up the extra space plus a bit more to make it a little tighter.

Joe.

6. Alright, thanks :D

7. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I had that happen to me and I learned how to do that by watching the reapirman at my local guitar store. I asked him why and he told me that since the hole si stripped out the screw does not have any wood to grip onto inside the hole. So the toothpicks give it something to grab onto. If you perform the steps they outlined in previous replies to this post things will stay put for who knows how long. Unless you have the habit of swinging you bass around by the strap.

8. Well I did what you said Lowtonejoe, the screw is solid now, I'l tell you how it is 2morow .

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Cool.

Joe.