1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tooty saxophone music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vindy500, Oct 23, 2006.

1. so i was watching this movie the other night, roughly translating it it is called lovers song or something (movies have danish names here ) so it ewas about all these black people getting there just rewards, in a positive way... but there was this type of music all the way through it, with saxaphones, they were all tooty, what sort of music is this? i liked it.

2. noone?

3. I don't think that is a good enough description for most of us, could you post sound clips?

4. nope coz i dont know what it is :)

5. Maybe some swing?

6. nah it was more low key than that, kinda like chill music, im thinking either jazz or blues, but i dont really know what either one is

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha... it was probably... jazz.

Sorry, there isn't much we can help you with. Look into the genre (if you haven't already) of "Cool Jazz."

If it's chill and jazz and doesn't suck, it's cool jazz
    If it's chill and jazz and does suck, you should probably stop listening to Kenny G.

8. bah you guys are useless :p picture black neighbourhood sax music, what type of music would we expect from the grotto? (not hiphop:p )

matt do you have any reccomendations of non kenny g :)

9. there's heaps of subsets to jazz nowadays -

could it be Acid Jazz?
    Crime Jazz?

10. "AArgh!"

"...in the grotto..."

:ninja:

*off*

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Grotto Music :

[​IMG]

:D

12. I'd bet on jazz - bebop specifically.

13. so whos a good bebop band, remember i want sax music :)

14. Go forth my son and grab onto some Charlie Parker. Bird Suite is a great 2 CD set with Dizzy on some of the first CD songs. Lots of "tooty" sounds you refer to. They don't call him the Bird for nothin.

15. Also, grab onto some John Coltrane for bop and hard bop. Careful with the later stuff, you could get hurt.

16. checked out some of this guys stuff, its close to what i mean but this is a lot faster, its all short sharp jabs and things not big slow sexy chill type stuff (hi my name is richard and i really suck at explaining sounds :))

17. Hmmm....you want slow sexy chill type stuff. There's a sub-genre of jazz in the smooth vein called chill but I'm sure that's not what you want.

You sure it's sax you're hearing? Miles Davis (trumpet)has a ton of ballads that are more on the slow chill side. Kind Of Blue exemplifies this.

18. pretty sure it was sax, i would more guess it was blues, that would identify with the black sort of ghetto thing wouldnt it?

19. Did you check out the Coltrane? Try some late '50s stuff. Stardust Session is his bluesy and mellower side.

Dexter Gordon?

They are both still jazz, not blues. I'm doubting it was straight up blues just because mellow blues USUALLY doesn't have sax unless it's jazz. Horns are mostly in the heavy hitting electric Chicago style blues, etc.

20. it all seems to happy...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021