Top 11 reasons I (mostly) only buy new basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Yes, this one goes to 11 :):

1. I don't care about nicks, dents and scratches - so I have no fear of the first on a new instrument.
    2. Price. I shop wisely, usually only buy basses that are on blowout sales, and if not always get between 28% and 23% off waiting for musiciansfriend sales, and using their backstage pass.
    3. I don't like other people's gunk on my equipment.
    4. I like to break instruments in, myself.
    5. I NEED to be able to return basses with no hassle, if necessary.
    6. I enjoy having a warranty.
    7. I like the smell of new.
    8. I like peeling plastic off of pickguards and pickups.
    9. I like being able to get what I want, when I want it, in what color I want it.
    10. I always buy at a price that enables me to resell either making money, breaking even, or at the very least taking a $50 hit (worth it to me as it winds up being $50 for a 2 or 3 year rental).

11. I want to piss off @vvvmmm , and I think maybe the people in the basswoods thread that I didn't read.

pcake, pjbassist, ToneMonkey and 46 others like this.
  2. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I feel as though #11 might actually be #1. :)

jmlee, Mr.Ace, Barticus and 21 others like this.
  3. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I like to be the first to play that bass naked .... @bobba66

4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I prefer new as well. Nos. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8, especially 8, do it for me.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  5. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    I think it just comes down to the difference in the used price vs new. If buying the same instrument in good-enough condition used is a huge price savings, for sure, but if it's a relatively small difference I think it's valid to say "I'd rather spend an extra couple hundred bucks for it to be new, with the return policy, warranty etc."

Helix and JeffJ2112 like this.
  6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Multiple of those points are actually arguments in favor of buying used. You might want to reconsider.

7. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    My Top 11 Reasons I only Buy New Basses:

1-11. I got nuthin'.

Sixgunn and Old Blastard like this.
  8. rodv66

rodv66 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    There is one advantage to new, not having to worry about maxed out truss rods. I bought a Grabber and the rod was maxed. Guy I got it from was cool enough to trade for an equal value bass, but that's not common

Artman and SJan3 like this.
  9. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I feel like makin' a dirty joke here. :roflmao:

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I mostly buy new as well, and reasons 2-6 and 9 apply for me, though #6 and #9 are by far the most important. However, the "exactly what I want" reason undercuts the desire for low prices and ability to return, because it means I special order some instruments that, unless they're defective, can't be easily returned like a purchase off the rack at GC.

I'm especially fond of warranties, because stuff does go wrong, and I've had one Fender neck and one G&L neck replaced under warranty for no charge.

PlatoFunFactory and SJan3 like this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Please elaborate. I'm an open minded guy. This might wind up turning on you though :).

pjbassist, DavC and Old Blastard like this.
  12. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Numbers 3, 5 and 9 are enough to keep me buying new.

13. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    For me it's only two reasons.

1. I have bad luck buying used, doesn't matter the item.

2. There's never exactly what I want available when I have the money or desire to buy.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  14. Wow! We should hang out sometime. :)
    Best wishes,
    Brent

15. maplenecked

maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    Honolulu
    I have noticed myself buying used to try stuff out, selling them, and then buying new versions if I liked them while trying them used. Prbly wasteful :D

Blind Lemon Sam and Artman like this.
  16. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    In truth...if it's a great deal and I'm all revved up about it and it plays well, I don't care of its new or used.

And I almost never play bass nekkid.

17. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....

I tried finding a family feud meme that had Survey Says on it....but I got lazy

Old Blastard likes this.
  18. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    As much as I agree with all your points because you mentioned what makes you happy, and why you prefer new over used (nobody can argue with that if it's what brings you pleasure!), I think you're stretching a bit with #10. Even if you actually are getting the claimed "28%-23%" discount when new, you're going to take more than a $50 hit when you go to sell it used.

I see a ton of people on craigslist and Reverb asking ridiculously high prices for used basses. They may even be in great shape, but their asking prices aren't low enough to justify even buying that one used, and may encourage others to just bite the bullet and buy new, have a factory warranty, return policy, etc. I've found that used asking prices have gone up quite a bit, but not sure if any of those are really selling. Craigslist at least in my area is usually fairly abundant with really nice instruments that seem to remain up for sale for quite a while. And then take into consideration the TB Classifieds. This site is probably the best place to get a great deal for a potential buyer to be honest. Most people here are reputable, know the real market value, and seems like the sellers here take a bigger hit than most, usually listing their basses at or below market value, PLUS they usually eat all or most of the shipping cost. So if you're only taking a $50 hit when you sell your basses second hand, you apparently are doing something right, that 99.9% of the rest those out there selling haven't figured out.

The other thing I've learned the hard way over the years, is be honest with yourself why you're buying an instrument and your motivations. Are you buying it to try to get the absolute best deal and it's more about the hunt and discovering and locating a great price, or is it something you're actually going to put to use and benefit from owning and want a well-made, well-performing, quality instrument? None of those reasons are wrong, but what I've discovered is once I decide what I want, it it becomes less about getting the best deal possible, and more about just getting exactly what I wanted, which could end up saving you in the long run. Compromising simply because it's a great price means you'll probably end up falling out of love with it down the line and selling it (usually at a loss) and would have been smarter to possibly shell out a little more in the beginning to get exactly what you wanted, used or new. Sometimes you just have to nite the bullet if it's exactly what you've been searching for instead of saving a buck on something that falls short of your expectations. But with that said, there are the guys/gals who are never happy and always flipping and thinking they need something new. THat's kind of their hobby in itself. It's all good, as long as your happy doing hat you do.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  19. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Wondering what your rationale is by buying the used version, apparently liking it, only to sell it and buy the same version new? The way I see it, even within the same model of bass, they can vary widely given wood in an organic material, so if you find a good one used, you might as well hold onto it because that shiny new one may very well not sound, play or feel as good as the used one did. Of course then inverse can also be true, but I think may second guess themselves and think that there just has to be one out there that's even better!

20. Tori2013

Tori2013

Aug 28, 2015
    I don't buy anything with resale in mind. I buy things because I want/need them and I have to have the particular one in front of me not an "equivalent".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021