Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Top 20 jazz-funk gig songs!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Samie, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I am helping out a local "jazz" group, they need to have a jazz repertoire for a local big gig in 2-3 months. The group/band is open to anyone so is wide range of skills. Most are jazz students of some sort. Youngsters and late bloomers.

They failed at C-jam Blues but managed Cantelope Island Ok.

So I figured jazz-funk jazz-rock is were I must go.

Help me out!!

:bawl:

2. Maybe chameleon? Also, when the jazz combo (also open to anyone, all non-music students though) I'm in started out we got people in with little to no experience, and the first few practices were a bit iffy. But after one member was in the group for about 2 weeks they usually got into their groove and with confidence came the better solos. Dont underestimate the people, they have to get into it and then the playing/improvising will start to come more natural. Cminor blues, lol, we didnt actually play any blues (all we did was like my favourite things, misty, freddie the freeloader (kinda blues),..but essentially jazz stuff at first)...when we tried blues...blamo! It failed...but then we tried the next week and it sounded fine. I suggest you give them a combination of complicated and simple stuff to rehearse, then you guys keep playing it and just play the stuff you're confident with live at first.

As for funk songs...anything by herbie hancock...umm...I'll check my real book later...other easy stuff: blue bossa...any bossa :p...yeah...thats it. Hope its helped.

Colin

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Maybe Hard Bop or Soul-Jazz 'classics'?

"Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"?
    "Sidewinder"?
    "Footprints" should be do-able.

Horace Silver's stuff can be manageable..."Senor Blues", "Song For My Father", etc

4. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Footprint was a disaster. Its not the skill, its just that there are not used the swing mentality.

jazz-funk will be better

5. Footprint is swing? ...oh yeah, I love that song....great slow 6/4 baroque feel. I dont think you have to swing to that song...also, just tell THEM to listen to all of the songs first. You can't swing if you havent heard swing before. Get them to maybe try to play along with the tracks at home whether they know what they're doing or not. Then they can at least get the feel for it.

6. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I cant do that to footprints!! its one of my favorites!! besides there is no time to learn swing well enough to perform live. :crying:

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Just play bossas. Easy enough. Blue Bossa, Girl from Ipanema, Song for my Father, Autumn Leaves sounds good as a bossa.

8. I hardly expect them to do autumn leaves well even as a bossa if they cant manage a simple swing. But ISNT footprints just that really slow 6/4 feel song...i mean you;re drummer will swing it slow but the solos wouldnt be difficult at all?

9. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    maybe some G.benson or al jarreau's stuff ! any Earl Klugh or bob james 's tunes too...

that's what I play with a "club" band here, it's nice to play , not too hard, but not too easy (could become boring), and everyone knows it !! :D ;)

10. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Here are a few tunes that I frequently run into playing "on call" casuals with people I'm often not used to playing with (easy for strangers with basic standard knoledge to throw together)

Bye Bye Blackbird(works well very uptempo or awfully slow)
    Fly me to the moon
    All of me
    Desafinado
    Kansas city
    Route 66
    Little sunflower(great oppurtunity fer the modal improv wings to open)
    Mercy, mercy, mercy
    Back at the chicken shack(JS RULES!)
    Satin Doll
    Summertime
    Girl from Ipamena

If I am just stating the obvious(according to what your tune familiarity might be) please forgive me...Off the top o me head, these tunes always work well enough with no prep tween the lineps that I meet(usually 5 min. before downbeat)...of course having fake book is mandatory(I recomend "The good book" ...best for many reasons)

11. Moongarm

Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    A funky song we used to play in Jazz band in High School is a tune by the name of Charley McFarley. Two semi difficult runs in the whole song rest of it is fairly easy.

12. Chameleon - Hancock
    Watermelon Man- Hancock
    Cantaloupe Island- Hancock
    So What - Miles
    Cissy Strut - Meters
    Sookie, Sookie - Grant Green
    Nautilus - Bob James
    Always There - Ronnie Laws
    Red Clay - Freddie Hubbard