Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Top 2x10 cabinet recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snoopyjc, Dec 19, 2004.

1. In my new band, I don't have help from the PA, so I went out and bought some Subs and now run the bass and the kick drum thru them (1x15s). For my bass rig, I use an Acme 2x10 subwoofer with an Eden 1x10 on top. My bass sounds "muddy" out in the club, though, 'cause the 1x10 just isn't sending out enough highs, so I want to replace it with a 2x10 cabinet - just for the highs, and I'm looking for a recommendation. I use an SWR SM-400S amp (like the SM-500). I currently have it bridged to Mono, but I can split it again. I want a cabinet that's small, lightweight, efficient, and doesn't cost an arm-and-a leg (around $500 is OK). Please give me some ideas on what has worked for you.

Thanks!

--joe http://www.simple-groove.com/

2. bmwone

bmwone

Nov 21, 2004
    I'm a big fan of the (now defunct) Trace Elliot 2x10 cabs with the small horn. They have a HF attenuator and can be bought on Ebay for $300 or so.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Dr. Bass, avatar, and of course, schroeder 1010.

4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Used Aguilar GS210. They're $600 new, so you could most likely find one under $500. Or else the S210--but I have not played through one of these; so I can't really vouch for them.

5. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    You can find an ea vl 210 for under $600 used...

6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I like the SWR 210 cabs. The Working Man's series is a great deal new or used IMO.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Bergantino HT210.

I haven't heard the new HT210S, but the TBer's who have seem very impressed.

-Art

8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

[Shameless plug] I've got an Eden D210XLT for sale....

dcr

9. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Go for the Aguilar " S" series. It delivers huge sound for under $400 new.I have not played the GS 210, but I have played a GS 410, and I think that the " S" series 210 sounds just as good as the higher priced GS models.

10. I'm now looking closely at the Avatar B210 Neo - most especially for the excellent reviews, the price ($249 new), and the weight (44#).

Comments?

--joe

11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Don't know about the Neo's but the reason that I'd sell my Eden's is because they've been displaced by Avatars....

dcr

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite 2x10's include the following:

any one from EA (VL-210B, CxL-210, NL-210)
    Accugroove Tri 210L
    ACME Low B-2
    Bergantino HT210 and HT210S
    Epifani T-210UL
    Eden T-210XST
    Dr. Bass BL 210 (with neo drivers)

Granted, all of these have their own sound, and some are extremely different from the others. If you plan on using your Low B-2, and just want something to add snap/bite, then of the above list, I would think that either of the Bergies or the Dr. Bass might fit the bill. Of course, knowing the Low B-2, other cabs that might work well for you would include the EA CxL-112, Accugroove Tri 110, or one or two Epifani T-110UL's. Now that I think about it, the T-110UL's would probably be awesome with the Low B-2. I'll have to try that...

I have not heard Avatar, though many people like them. I have heard many cabs from Low Down Sound, though I don't recall ever playing one of their 2x10's (did play a 3x10, though). All of Don's cabs are very nice, and he is more than willing to build custom cabs - so you could have him design something that will work well with your ACME.

Here is a link to a thread where I discuss my own little 2x10 shootout (minus the Dr. Bass, which is still being modified by Marc).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147050&referrerid=31302

13. Thank you for all of your ideas!!

Now I'm looking at some interesting alternatives to a 2x10 cabinet - a cabinet with a 10, a 6, and 1 or 2 horns!

Examples:
    Accugroove Tri-110L (http://www.accugroove.com/)36# and $961.
    Dr. Bass BL 1060 (http://www.drbasscabs.com/Birchline.htm) - 46# and $379.

Has anybody compared these to a 2x10 for a top cabinet?
    --joe

14. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    If you're only looking for a "top" and not a standalone, a used Bag End D10x could be very nice and only 12" deep. I think a certain Floridian bass retailer has two used for sale.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I haven't tried that Dr. Bass model, but compared to my 2x10's, my Tri 110 has a more aggressive, punchy bite, mostly in the midrange. It is not as low end heavy, but you don't really need that, if you are using it with a Low B-2. The high end is traditional Accugroove - smooth and still phat, but perhaps not as aggressive as some would like. The nice thing with Accugrooves is that they respond well to EQ, so you can boost some highs and not get any hiss or other detrimental artifacts. Plus, it uses the same tweeter (2 of them, actually) as your ACME, so any EQ-ing you do should sound good through the ACME, too.

Another option would be the now discontinued Accugroove Mini Whappo. I believe Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com) still has one for sale.

Hope this helps, Tom.

16. I just looked at the photo and description of these here:
    http://www.bagend.com/bagend/legacy.htm#D10X-D - my gripe with these is the weight - 62#. My back limits me to lifting 50# without straining, so these are out!

Thanks for your reply,
    --joe

17. I've been having an email conversation with Marc from Dr. Bass, and he's been quite helpful. They discontinued the 1060 model, and he recommends going with a 2x10 cabinet.

As far as accugroove, The mini-whappo is too heavy (61#) and the Tri 110 looks nice, but is too expensive.

So, I'm probably going to pick from one of these 2 models:
    Dr. Bass (http://www.drbasscabs.com/) Rx 210, 18x20x15, 40#, $269:

[​IMG]

or the Avatar (http://www.avatarspeakers.com/) B210 Neo, 18x25x16.5, 44#, $249:
    [​IMG]

Comments?
    --joe

18. I would really suggest you try the schroeder.

From all the views and opinions on those cabs, they do a great deal of cutting through mixes.

19. I did look at the picture of the Schroeder - I thought that the side-firing 10 would be of no help in getting the highs out to the crowd, since it acts as a sub - I have plenty of lows from my Acme cabinet - I'm trying to get more highs, so that is why I'm looking at cabinets where all of the drivers are front-firing.

Actually, I'm continuing my conversation with Marc from Dr. Bass, and he told me that the Foster horn (used in the Avatar) sounds nasally - he's recommending I go with his Rx 210, but substitute the (better) compression horn (like a horn you'd use in a PA cabinet). That's a nice thing about dealing with a very small company - they can pretty much "build to suit" :)

--joe

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That is very nice, indeed. And I agree, go with the upgraded tweeter.