1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Top 5 annoying things other band mates do.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Coolmanofsweg, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Coolmanofsweg

Coolmanofsweg

Apr 18, 2015
    The title is pretty self explanatory. So just list your top five. I'll start with mine: 1) When the singers get 100% credit for everything. 2) The guitarist being cocky. 3) sound guys turning you down. 4) Singers changing keys 5) Drummers playing to loud

Cowboy in Latvia and bignote like this.
  2. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Drummers playing when there's a sound check, tuning or if your discussing the song.

Bandmates who can't answer their phone.

Bandmates who are late.

Guitarist with zero concept of making a tone or think cranking it will fix their tone short coming.

Egos

3. Zephrant

Zephrant

Dec 10, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Being late
    Noodling at full volume when we are trying to solve a problem
    Too loud at rehearsal
    Not being there for load-in
    Not helping to promote the band. Hitting Like on a FB post is not really that hard, and five likes from the band can make a big difference on how many people FB pushes that post to.

4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Keyboard players who are still breathing are quite annoying.
    gui****s who have one sound and they use it on everything from The Jackson 5 to Metallica.
    gui****s who think they can just pick up a bass and be a bass player.
    Bass players who have no clue what playing bass is really all about.

Coolmanofsweg likes this.
  5. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    gui****s noodling in between songs on stage during gig.
    gui**** who can't show up on time for gig.
    Drummer who sings along with lead vocal, not doing harmony, but in unison, sort of, creating distraction to vocalist!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  6. 1) Guitarist who can't stop noodling during rehearsal to hear what others have to say (unless HE has something to say, of course)
    2) Guitarist who spends hours tweaking his sounds to get them just right, then can't remember what combination of pedals to hit before a song.
    3) Guitarist who tunes between each and every song.
    4) Singers who doesn't sing full voice at rehearsal.
    5) No-call, no-text tardiness. Being late happens, but at least let us know.

7. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    1. Chronic tardiness
    2. Practicing random material that's not on the song list, when you haven't learned/mastered all the songs on the list yet that you were given to learn –– then having the gall to say "I didn't have time to work on that"
    3. Not using some of your substantial (unemployed) free time to find/book gigs, fix your broke ass gear, or do anything beneficial to the band
    4. Continuing to play a song incorrectly because "that's the way I (or worse, my other band) always play it"
    5. Tuning at full volume when on stage, especially when you've been asked repeatedly not to do so

I've said it before and I'll say it again, being a good band mate boils down to three things: 1) be on time; 2) be prepared; 3) don't be a dick.

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Guitarists:

Downtuning to make up for lazy/incapable vox

Spending more time twisting knobs on their pedalboard than playing

Having one, singular tone for every song

DOUBLING THE BASSISTS SOLO PARTS WHILE HE'S PLAYING THEM

Singers:

Trying to communicate in musical terms or describe how the band should play a section and failing miserably at it.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmmm... don't know if I have five top of mind, let's see...

I have the misfortune of belonging to a band named Wipt (they had gigs booked before I joined, so I had no say). Chick singer always insists on introducing the band by saying, "Hi, we're Wipt. Actually, THESE guys are whipped, I'm the one holding the whip..." Hardy har har Jeanie.

Guitarists noodling between songs, yeah.

Singer-songwriters throwing random pauses into their songs with no rhyme or reason.

Bandmates showing up to big-deal gigs in jeans and a t-shirt when I'm wearing a tie.

Bandmates showing up to no-big-deal gigs in tie and jacket when I'm wearing a t-shirt.

I guess that's five, now that I'm rolling I could probably come up with some more...

Cowboy in Latvia and shawshank72 like this.
  10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    1. Bandmates who dont practice
    2. Being late
    3. Egos
    4. gui****s with 100 pedals and no concept of consistant volume.
    5. Singers

11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Drummers/guitarists (or anyone) constantly noodling in between actual playing,either at rehearsal or gigs.

Guitarists who do a long personal soundcheck involving playing licks from the upcoming set, at full volume. It makes the whole band seem egocentric and amateur.

Is that 5? It feels like 10.

12. 1. Drama
    2. Unreliable
    3. Bad attitudes
    4. Unrealistic expectations
    5. Treating everyone like crap

13. Coolmanofsweg

Coolmanofsweg

Apr 18, 2015
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention the guitarist saying bass is easy and thinking he could go right into it and be good at it. Makes me want to punch something.

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  14. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    The only thing that gets on my nerves is my guitarist always disappears on set breaks when its time to write out set lists. In our 7 years together, he has never written one.

Coolmanofsweg likes this.
  15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    1) Drummer being late for a gig.
    2) Drummer is still setting up his kit 20 minutes after the first set should have started.
    3) Drummer refusing to play certain tunes because they are "beneath his skill level".
    4) Drummer eating BBQ chicken (while he's playing-----yes, this actually happened)
    5) Drummer counting off the intro while the singer is still introducing the song or addressing the crowd.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

1. Not learn the damn song properly.
    2. Not learn the damn song properly.
    3. Not learn the damn song properly.
    4. Not learn the damn song properly.
    4. Not learn the damn song properly.

17. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone playing while trying to talk or listen
    Being late
    Not knowing your parts
    Blaming Farts on the bass player
    Pretending you know what you are talking about

Torrente Cro and MasonMinor like this.
  18. Coolmanofsweg

Coolmanofsweg

Apr 18, 2015
    Sounds like you need a new drummer.

19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    The only people who I have ever heard say something like this are people who have little to no skill. Accomplished players don't worry about such drivel, if the song works all is good...

ONYX and Leo Smith like this.
  20. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I'm not in that band anymore---I left for other reasons though. We had actually voted him "incompetent" in absentia and decided to fire him. However, before we could send him packing, he decided to get stoned and drive down a dirt road, at night, at a very high rate of speed. For some reason, this plan failed miserably and he drove into a tree, breaking both legs, both arms, and fracturing his pelvis. This effectively ended his drumming career. Bad karma I guess?