Top 5 basses for the destitute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Please state your top 5 current model basses costing max UK £250; US $300.
  2. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    1. Fender MIM Jazz Bass
    2. Fender MIM Precision Bass
    3. Fender MIM Jazz Fretless
    4. Steinberger Spirit
    5. Squier Precision Bass

3. Thanks, GM. Is you're selection because you're basically a Fender man or is it that you believe they're the best value for money?

Rockin' John
  4. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe they are the best value for the money. I've taught beginning bass lessons for years and have had all sorts of weird things come through my door...those that come in with either of my first two up there invariably end up developing faster and using their bass in a wider variety of situations.

5. I agree on the MIM Fenders and the Steinberger, I have a spirit 5 string and it is a trmendous value. Also check out the Yamaha offerings in this price range, they are excellent basses. I'll give you my list:

1) Steinberger Spirit
    2) Fender Jazz/Precision MIM
    3) Yamaha RBX260
    4) DeArmond Pilot
    5) Tobias Toby Deluxe

If you are an online buyer all of the above basses can be seen at either:

I definitely am a play before you buy guy but I don't think you can get the steinberger or Toby deluxe anywhere but musicyo.

6. Thanks, Steve.

Yes, I'm considering a Yam. They seem really good, don't they. Haven't played one, though. The BBN4 III comes just in my £250 UK. That looks nice, too.

Any thoughts on Peavey. There's the C4 (formerly Zephyr) and the Fury II both @ around £200 UK.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All of the aforementioned basses are good values, as is the Peavey C4 and Fury II.
  8. I am a Peavey fan, have a foundation fretless 5, and have had others. Many on this forum don't like them for various reasons but I think they are an excellent value. The Furys are Korean made but beautiful quilted top and play great with active electronics. Play one and see what you think.
  9. Hi.

The thing is, the reason for asking the question, is that I'm about to buy a bass again (after a 25 year lay-off). Not for gigging but just to muck about with along with a few guys.

There's just so much out there now. It seems that virtually every man and his dog makes guitars and I'm trying to get some notion as to which way to go. Then I'll go to the shop, try a few and take it from there.

So, on a build quality issue, do you think I'm better looking to a MIM J or P or do the Yams, Peaveys, etc offer better value: tonal quality apart for the moment? It really does seem to be a MIM versus all the rest.

10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    MIM versus the rest:

You want tone - go MIM.
    You want quality - have something else.
  11. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    What about a "previously owned" bass? I think you may be able to find better value for your money used than you will new for $300.00 US or less.
  12. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    The Peavey series of basses is the most underated and one of the best values.

Look into the new Fury Bass or the Milestone series.

Good Luck,

13. whatever you do dont buy anything from rogue
  14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    1.Cort Curbow 6 String $400 -> Ebay
    2.Cort Curbow 5 String FL $350 -> Ebay
    3.Cort Curbow 5 String $300 -> Ebay
    4.Cort Curbow 4 String $280 -> Ebay
    5.Ibanez ATK300 4 String $300 -> Ebay

15. I'd have to say the best basses around that go for cheap are Peavey's.. MIM Fenders.. and the lower end Dean basses. They all feel and sound like real basses.
  16. Well, it's all rather academic now. I went to the shop and bought a second user Squier Affinity P-Bass, made in China.

I vowed I'd never have a Squier. But at the price (£75 UK) I just couldn't resist it. It's sunburst, too. The neck quality is really nice and it sounds quite good.

The C4 that I tried yesterday did not compare well with the Squire. It had to be retuned three or four times whilst I was playing it. Not impressed.

So thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.

Rockin' John.

17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Even though I'm late with this, just had to post my 4 fave cheapo's:

1. Danelectro DC
    2. Epiphone Viola
    3. Epiphone EB1
    4. Danelectro Longhorn