Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Top and back

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by umberto, Dec 6, 2004.

1. umberto

umberto

Jun 10, 2004
    What do you think about using two different kinds of wood: one for the top and another for the back?
    Do you think the back facing could affect the sound or... it's just a smart-looking matter?

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    uhhhhhh..........heheh..........uhhhhhhhh.....huh? :eyebrow:

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Uhmmm yeah :meh: ...I'm gonna have to agree with JSP...

are you talking about putting a laminate on the top and back? or are you just talking about the difference between the back wood and a laminate top? or did I totally miss the whole point of what you were asking :confused: ?

4. umberto

umberto

Jun 10, 2004
    Sorry...
    I'm talking about putting a laminate on the top (i.e. ziricote), the core (i.e. cherry black) and a laminate on the back (i.e. bocote). Does the laminate I've put on the back (bocote) affect significantly the sound or not?
    Hope it's clearer...

5. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Much :D ...in my opinion neither laminate will not affect the sound much, if at all...in fact, some people will argue that the entire body itself does not affect the tone much at all...others might say that all the tone and sound is located entirely within the pickups and their setup, and that whatever wood is used doesnt matter to the sound.

Personally, I feel that the neck wood selection would affect the sound more than the body wood would, however, the effect that the body wood would have on the sound is from the main mass of wood that is used, so if you have cherry sandwiched between a thin laminate of bocote and ziricote, then the cherry, which makes up most of the mass of the body, would affect the sound the most. obviously, the thicker the laminate wood is, the more effect that it will play on the sound.

But I dont believe that either laminate would change the sound enough to notice. I say go with what looks good and have fun with it. :bassist:

6. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I ditto what guitar geek said. Now if I was building an acoustic bass, I might think more about body woods.........
    But I can't build acoustic instruments, yet.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Top or back will have a very limited effect on sound.
    If you have a body of quite soft wood, there may be a reason to add top and back to keep away from dents. And then the back don't have to be pretty.

When you use cherry, the only reason to add top or back would be aestetics.

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I've used different woods for the top, core, and back twice now. It's perfectly acceptable. Go for it.