Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Top/Back wood :decorative only

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by angrydad, Jul 25, 2005.

1. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Hello , I have a question regarding top/back woods. I'm considering having a fretless 5 string bass built using a graphite neck, with Alder as the body wood. I've had this combination before, and it worked well for me. I would like the top/back wood to be merely decorative, and not have a great if any influence on the tone...here's what I had in mind : I'd like to use Rosewood acoustic guitar backs for the top and back. I know that these are thinner than most top/back woods. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea ? Might such a thin top split while routing for pickups, or is this not an issue since it will be glued to the alder ? Thanks.

2. That shouldn't be a problem at all - go for it! The color combo of the reddish alder and the dark rosewood facings sounds great. I look forward to seeing it.

3. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    That's good enough for me, I've seen your work on this site, so I put alot of stock in your opinion. Thanks.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, this would be my "issue". Or rather: "concern".
    It's important to get the rosewood well glued to the alder base, with extra caution to the areas that will be worked on later. That's no news, right?
    However, the thinner material, the more care is needed in the gluing process! And if there is any curvature on the alder, beware!
    Meticulous care, and a lot of patience, and then: show us the result!