top bearing router bit

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tommy Gunz, Sep 13, 2003.

1. It is freaking impossible to find a 3/8" cutting diameter top bearing router bit anywhere around here. Looked in many many router bit catalogue and it seems that no body carry them. Eventually I saw them on StewMac catalogue (which is the first place I should have look) but what the heck, how come I can't find it on any major cutting tool bits manufacturers?? I saw one other site that mentioned Whiteside makes them, but when I look at their online catalogue, it's not there. This is so frustrating because it is why my project bass is been on hold for a couple weeks now.

So where do you guys buy you small size tb router bit?
  2. Why not just add a bearing to any 3/8" bit you desire. You can get same size bearings to make it a patterning bit or use larger bits to make offset cuts.
  3. Tried that too. Finding the 3/8" bearing with 1/4" shank hole is just as hard. I can always do the offset cuts like you said, but then I'll have to redo the jigs and I don't really want to do that especially for the neck pocket jig.

Anyway, I did end up ordering the one from StewMac, just waiting for the delivery to come that's all.
  4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I just bought one from Stew Mac and used it last week. Works like a dream!
  5. RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    I made one for my self years ago. I didn't have much trouble finding a bearing for it.

these guys are only a few K's away...
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    McMaster-Carr has 1/4" ID bearings with 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" ODs.