Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

top bearing router bit

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tommy Gunz, Sep 13, 2003.

1. It is freaking impossible to find a 3/8" cutting diameter top bearing router bit anywhere around here. Looked in many many router bit catalogue and it seems that no body carry them. Eventually I saw them on StewMac catalogue (which is the first place I should have look) but what the heck, how come I can't find it on any major cutting tool bits manufacturers?? I saw one other site that mentioned Whiteside makes them, but when I look at their online catalogue, it's not there. This is so frustrating because it is why my project bass is been on hold for a couple weeks now.

So where do you guys buy you small size tb router bit?

2. Why not just add a bearing to any 3/8" bit you desire. You can get same size bearings to make it a patterning bit or use larger bits to make offset cuts.

3. Tried that too. Finding the 3/8" bearing with 1/4" shank hole is just as hard. I can always do the offset cuts like you said, but then I'll have to redo the jigs and I don't really want to do that especially for the neck pocket jig.

Anyway, I did end up ordering the one from StewMac, just waiting for the delivery to come that's all.

4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I just bought one from Stew Mac and used it last week. Works like a dream!

5. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    I made one for my self years ago. I didn't have much trouble finding a bearing for it.

http://www.smallparts.com.au/

these guys are only a few K's away...

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    McMaster-Carr has 1/4" ID bearings with 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" ODs.