Top buy nirvana song book or not?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Vacume, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    well ive been playin bass for more then a year and learning notation for about 8 months and I thought buying the nirvana song book might be fun but will it increase my skill? so for the purpose of learning notation do u think the nirvana song book along with another begginners theory book (by theory book I mean a book that has lessons in it)would be a good use of time? sorry if this question seems kind of vague
  2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    go for it! there's some good solid bass playing on a lot of Nirvana tunes and there's bound to be some benefit to it... if you learn to play all the songs from Nevermind & understand what's going on in the bass it'll be good for you

most of them are relatively easy enough to work out by ear but if your ear's not at that stage yet, the book can be a help
  3. Just download the tabs of , and with the money you save get a scales book or bass instruction book
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    try playing them by ear
  5. Not! This music isn't that difficult. Learn the tunes by ear.

You may need a book when you start learning Charlie Parker or Jaco tunes. But most of the other stuff you should be able to figure out by ear.
  6. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    where do you live, you want it? if you live in michigan you can have it.
  7. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Of course not! Try playing them by ear, and also most their songs are tabbed in GuitarPro, so there's no prob to get bass tas for them.
  8. Nirvana is easy and interesting to play. However, it can be learned by ear pretty easily and you could use tabs to help you when you're stuck. You want to develop your ear as much as possible. I'd say save the books for harder stuff.
  9. Yes and no.

If your goal is to get better at reading notation your money is better spent elsewhere, like on a book for that very subject.

Look at it this way. The Nirvana song book is only on one level and you will not progress as much, especially in reading rhythm. If you get a book on reading notation it will start you off pretty simple and then progress well beyond your current level.

Learning to read music that you are interested in will help, but it should be a supplement to what you are trying to learn. It other words, you should be doing it all. Pick up a theory book, pick up a book on reading notation, and pick up a book with your favorite music. By "pick up" I mean beg, borrow, or buy. Try used book stores as well.

If you want to learn to sight read music, the best way to learn is to read as much music as you can get your hands on.

Like mentioned above, you will also want to develop your ears. Nirvana would be a good band for that.
  10. Hey man I was in a similar spot. I love Nirvana to no end and I idolize Krist Novoselic still but I was maniacal back in the day. Before I bought my first bass I went crazy printing out tabs to practice. having the book is nice but when you can get it for free why bother? Alot of the tabs are wrong but you should be able to hear that its wrong and correct it. Also with Nirvana most of the stuff isn't to tough so you should have a fun time with. Now go to a tab site and print some of your favorite tunes out. Then go work them out. Hours of entertainment and bass fun right there. thats how I got started.