Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Top end 5 strings????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman308, Jun 21, 2003.

1. bassman308

bassman308

Jun 21, 2003
    I've played bass in rock bands for 35 yrs using my Fenders {74 Jazz and 66 Precision} I'm looking for a good 5 string that has the same string spacing as a 4 string. The main reason is that I also do lead vocals and stumble all over myself when trying to play the narrow spaced necks. Price wise maybe a top end production bass. It would take months to track down all the dealers of basses made and then try them all so I'm trying to narrow the field.

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Ibanez BTB1005E?

Check the BTB's out, they are extremely well made for their respective prices, and they have fairly wide necks and 19mm string spacing.

Or, check out the Warwick Streamer Stage 1, only available in wide neck, 20mm spacing. Damn expensive, and heavy due to the maple body...

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll cast my typical Benavente vote in first ;) It might be tough to track down one to try, but if you find yourself at the Jersey Shore... I'd gladly let you give mine a spin. You've also got the new Marcus Miller 5 from Fender. I'm looking to try it too. It's said to be Marcus' 70's Jazz specs widened to add the B.

Sadowsky's are another vote...

Two other point you should consider are Scale and Radius. You might find the stock Benavente board too flat (but I'm sure you could order it more 'vintage' radiused).

It also seems a lot of the hi-end 5 string basses are 35" scale... I prefer 34"

Good Luck, and pick up some Mylanta to ease the pressure and clear the head ;)

4. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    An Ernie Ball Stingray 5 might be right up your alley:)

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    isn't the 5 string a 5/8ths spacing instead of the 3/4 of the Fender 4 stringers... or am I miss informed?

6. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    stingray 5's are actually very tight spacing-wise, so I don't know what S4C is talking about...

Check out a Modulus Quantum 5 with 19mm spacing

7. Since you're used to the sound and feel of your Jazz and Precision Basses, I think the Fender Roscoe Beck 5 would be a great choice. Tonewise, it sounds more like a Jazz Bass. The spacing is like that of a 4 string, so the neck is fairly wide. It's my No. 1, so I can't recommend it enough.

8. Another vote for the Ibanez BTB's. I had no trouble going from the four string to the BTB405 5-string, fairly wide neck and string spacing comparable to the 4-string basses. The BTB405's are the low end of the BTB series but play really well. I believe most of the 500 series and all the 1000 series BTB's have asymmetrical necks and Bartolini pickups.

9. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    If you get a chance, check out an F Bass ( www.fbass.com ) it definitely has the J-bass thing down and them some, plus excellent ergonomics, playability and a very musical preamp. It can do a decent P-bass if you need it to.

I played a '72 Jazz as my main bass for years, but my F Bass has replaced it as my #1 and I'm even considering selling the J. I've been so impressed with the F's that I'm having a fretless made. Try and get your hands on one before you by another.

Happy hunting!

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    this one sound great, just like a good fender and you have same string spacing as on a 4 string. Take a look here

:)

11. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    There are only 2 Modulus spacings available AFAIK. The standard 17mm and the wider custom spacing of 21.5mm.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'd recommend considering a Lakland. The USA models are a bit expensive but very nice, the Skyline (Korean) are surprisingly good and exceptionally affordable. Has the requsite 3/4" string spacing at the bridge, feels very "Fender-ish", sounds excellent.

I even know where you can get a great deal on one! ;)

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm a wide-5 guy myself. The comfiest fiver I've ever played is the MTD 535.

I'd also recommend the Fender Roscoe Beck signature 5. It isn't exactly top-end, but if you want comfy playability and a nice array of passive Fender-y tones, that's your bass.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

If you're into your Fenders, don't waste any time. Get yourself a Sadowsky 5 string, 21 fret model. You won't regret it for a minute

Rob

15. I'll second the lakland. they make a wide variety of stuff, you can get a Joe Osbourn 5-string which is pretty much a jazz bass or their 55-94 whcih is kinda their flagship bass. if you don't have the cash (2-3 grand) you can check out their skyline models which are exactly the same as the US stuff but just made overseas so it is cheaper. depending on how much money you have to spend there is a lot of stuff out there. I would probably recomend a 5 string jazz bass for you since you are more acostomed to playing that style of bass. and you also have to decide if you want a passive bass or one with a preamp and all that fancy stuff.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    whatever you do, DONT get a Warwick. they're all unbelieveably narrowly spaced.

like Capt. Red said, the RoscoeB is a great choice. and i see 'em on ebay for little dough, too.

if you got a good amount of dough, nothing but a Sadowsky will do. then again, if you dont quite have that dough, why not a Sadowsky Tokyo? about 2/3's the price of the USA ones, but still has a good amount of the Sadowsky vibe.

17. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    I suggest you to try Fender Roscoe Beck bass; it feels great and won't cost you a fortune.

18. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Try a Jerzy Drozd.
    Here is a nice Excellency V.[​IMG]

19. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    If a Stingray 5 is considered to have tight spacing I don't want to know what kind of tree you're playing

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    -------- or --------

get a Warwick with the WIDE STRING SPACING OPTION(20 mm - otherwise normal spacin for 5 and 6 would be 16,5). Maybe some older Streamer Stage Is are still available used, taht have the 20mm spacing and Stage Is have a more "traditional" sound. Streamer LXs can still be ordered with wide string spacing. a bit more modern than the Fenders, but its got more electronics and very well-made