Top Load or String-thru-Body bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Top Load (Fender style)

18 vote(s)
  2. String-thru-Body (Lakland style)

15 vote(s)
  1. Do you prefer Top Load (conventional Fender style) or String-thru-body (Lakland style) bridges?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

top load for me.
    Actually, I barely hear the difference.
    I'd rather use a very good bridge with top loading.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

(oh, go ahead and hate me not keeping it simple) - It's all about SUSTAIN and how much I want the sound of the wood to come through.

Playing punk, it's nice to have smaller gauge, higher-tension strings with a top load bridge for punch. For blues/R&B, it nice to have larger gauge, lower tension strings through-the-body that resonate for days.

Of course, bridge materials and woods are just a couple of other factors that get thrown into the mix, too.
  4. I can never tell the difference in either tone or sustain. I prefer the toploaders.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

You almost never see a through-body bridge design on a highend bass. Coincidence?
  6. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Wasn't Leo Fender the one who started the strings through body system on the first Telecaster basses?
    To the question: I think through body has a slight edge,especially for the low B on a 5 string.
  7. Fender P-Bass American Deluxe. Top model of the Fender legacy.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For tone, I have no preference.

For convenience, I prefer a good top load quick release bridge, like ABM or Hipshot.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, I said <b>almost</b> never...and to call a Fender P highend...I don't know...
  11. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i had a carvin w/ a string thru/top loading bridge. I used to go string thru but i broke a whole lot of strings that way. Its not that the bridge was sharp or anything, but my string's saddles were pretty far back, so the break angle of the string was pretty close to 90 deg.

After plenty of broken B's E's and A's, I just started using top loading, i haven't broken a string yet.
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    String through.
  13. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    I like the string through on the Fenders...I feel more vibration through the body...instrument feels more alive...

ps: The poll is misleading...The Am Deluxe fender j basses are EITHER top load or thru body...
  14. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i voted for the lakland style one. :rolleyes:
  15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.:D
  16. It depends on the bass. My T-40 loves to be strung-thru. My warmoth actually seems more responsive when top loaded.

I'd rather have the option.
  17. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    No preference. I think it takes more than where the ball ends of the strings rest to make a fine sounding bass.
  18. Top realease, always.. I don't believe in the "more sustain" theory of body-trough bridges..
    And also think ALL top load should be made for quick release..
  19. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    IMO...string through...more sustain!
    Have a JB Deluxe. allows for top load aswell.
  20. I've tried both ways on my RB5 and the difference is minimal. I been top loading lately because I can use long scale strings (which are easier to find) rather than super long scale (which I have to mail order).