Top Nut groove depth

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    this may sound stupid but should the groove depth of the nut be half the height of the strings, the guy at my local music shop said it doesn't matter but I read somewhere that it's pretty important... Please help.
  2. IMO the depth of the nut slots isn't too critical as long as there is enough to hold the string without rattling.

The real determining factor for how deep a nut slot should be on a particular instrument is the desired height of the strings.
  3. Most of the top luthiers set the string slots to the desired height, then take the top of the nut down to approx half the thickness of the string, the theory being to prevent any possible binding.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've learned that to be true...a well-cut nut will be cut so that the string sits halfway in the nut and is halfway exposed.

Less slotting could result in the string slipping out of the nut, and too much could result in the nut "grabbing" the string, not allowing it maximum "play".