1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Top of bass collapsing?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Brandon Tuomiko, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    The top of my kay seems to be getting more warped each day. It is very bad looking if you look at the bass from the side. The F holes on each side- on the inner sides- are much lower than the other sides.

Is there any cheap way that this can be repaired? I dont want it to like crack! I need this bass till summer!

Does it need to be repaired soon?

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    :rollno:

3. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    What side is the soundpost on? When I got my Kay, it was all beat up and the soundpost was under the E string, resulting the treble side F hole caving in a little.

4. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    Yea I know. But it is coming apart again. And its real bad now. My teacher says what it needs is un-reparable.

The neck needs replaced. And fingerboard. Front and back are bowing out.

Its real bad. Thats what I keep trying to tell everyone here.

5. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    The luthier said the sound post was perfect. He said the water damage had caused the wood to soften, and also that is why I have to have it re-glued every month.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I would go with what your teacher and luthier say, since they can see the bass, and we can't. If you actually want any useful advice here on TB, you'd have to post some pretty in depth pictures. Even then, people who can actually see the bass are in a better position to make an accurate assessment.

May I also respectfully suggest that those who find this thread superfluous ignore it, and perhaps also the creator of it? Moderators and administrators are on the job, as usual. :)

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Try to play this bass as long as humanly possible without spending more $ on it. Any extra $ you have save for the next bass whenever you can get it.

8. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    True. I have put well over $1000 into this bass, and the story stays the same, it no longer can hold it self up.

Time for it to pass on.

When the time comes, I will give this bass to someone in dire need. Not going to get any money out of it and have the person have to put 2x they pay into it.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    One of my old plys (can't recall which one) deformed like yours is doing. Although it looked scary, it didn't affect the performance at all (it found its "new shape" after awhile and just stayed there). Granted, mine wasn't submerged in flood waters, but I think you should just chance it and see if you can get a couple more months out of it.

10. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    Yes like the others said, I will just see what happens. If it breaks, well, it breaks. I can not do anything for that. I am not going to spend the money (probably thousands) To fix it.

If it breaks though, I have ANOTHER bass neck to hang from my wall!

I bet I could make some modern art from it if it breaks.

DONT worry! It will never be fire wood.

Setting aside my jokes. I will give it to someone if it holds, My friend maybe. And a luthier or someone who wants to practice the art of restoring, if it breaks.

11. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Yeah, what Marcus says. From a materials perspective, plywood can take quite a bit of deflection. Just because the top changes shape doesn't necessarily mean it is going to crack. I would be more concerned that the sides and the neck joints remain in place.

12. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I would love to see pics of that bass! :hyper:

13. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    I got to talk my mom into letting me get a supporting membership. I ran out of pic space and it says I need a supporting membership now.

Soon I will.

14. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

My 63 M1 had a patch under the treble side bridge foot that the luthier said was "delaminating". But it was stable.

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    If you email them to me I'd be happy to post them. Click my name and scroll down to the send email button.

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Brandon.... there's a guy here who plays Hawaiian music on on old ply bass.... I wish I had a picture of it. The bridge is actually broken in half, and laying down in an "L" shape (hard to describe). The bridge feet themselves are embedded into the top, into at least the second ply of wood. In addition to the ff holes, there are several additional punctures in various spots. The entire upper right side shoulder is missing, and replaced by thin plywood, attached with screws and Bondo. The neck joint and heel has broken, and is also screwed/Bondo-ed together. The strings are weedwackers from Home Depot. The whole thing looks like it crawled out of a toxic waste dump.

He's recorded several albums on this bass. Somehow, he makes it work, and his records sound great. These old ply basses are pretty hard to kill off.

17. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    Wow. I would like to see that!

I just hope my kay does not get that bad!

But at least it should hold up, if his did.

18. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Went to a gig a few weeks ago and saw a guy playing an old Kay with a golfball-sized hole punched/worn through one of the upper ribs.

Sounded fine; he played the daylights out of it. IMHO, its not about the bike.

19. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    My friend has a nice carved bass with a baseball sized hole on the side. Still sounds great. I dont think some holes affect the sound at all.

20. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    Although after I glued my kays side back (it had totally come undone all along the side) It sounded so much richer and much nicer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.