Top "Quality Build" basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the feebler elf, Jan 23, 2005.

1. I'll be in the market for a new whipping post soon, and after playing $400 to $600 basses for years, I'm looking to spend around $1000 to $1500 for something of a higher quality. I have suffered too many headaches over the years, due to "doesn't suck" build.

While I am aware that tone, playability, etc. are all based on personal preference, I am of the opinion that build is not. Quality build is quality build.

Based on experience, what are your top picks for build quality in the +- $1000 - 1500 price range?

Note - keep in mind this bass may be dropped, punched, kicked, or beaten in some other fashion, used as a hammer, perhaps a weapon, shot, used to tobboggan down stairs, dragged behind my pickup, etc. :eek:
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My Dingwall has always been solid as a rock, allthough I wouldnt want to do any of those things too it hehe.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think you'd be better off buying a dozen $100 basses.
  4. :p Okay, I won't actually be doing any of the aforementioned things. I'm actually pretty easy on my basses, but just in case I NEED to do any of those things, I'd like to know my bass can step up to the plate.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think Music Man makes the most indestructable basses for the money.
  6. Musicmans, Fenders (MIA), and Rickenbackers are all solid.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1, and consistant quality.
  8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1. I'm hoping to get soon myself.
  9. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    ya get a ray!
  10. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Musicmen are tough stuff.
  11. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I'd go for Valenti. Nino assembled my main bass and while not Warmoth parts(Fender body, Allparts neck), it is my favorite bass and have used it 75% of the time at gigs and recording almost exclusively with it. With Bartolini electronics, it came out sounding pretty Warwick-y in the studio.
  12. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  13. That's perfect, Dincrest. Thanks a lot. I actually came across that thread not too long ago. I tried a search, but the results were too varied. Thanks again.
  14. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I'd say, get the 'Ray. Mine was shoved into a fan and didn't even go out of tune. +1 on the consistent quality, too. I've never played a 'Ray that didn't feel like a quality build. For that price range, you could always go for a used Kubicki (my personal favorite), but if you're looking to buy a new bass, go with the 'Ray.
  15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I'd spend a touch more and get a new or used Sadowsky Metro

16. I would consider used in that pricepoint. You would have many excellent options.
  17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ditto to the used route, The only new basses I would consider in that range would be the Lakland Daryl Jones or Joe Osborn (skyline) . But there is a used Metro on the board for 1600 it's an Ash /Maple Slap machine if I had the scratch I'd do it in a heartbeat! Nothing against the stingrays or a fender but it's a Sadowsky NUFF SAID
    Steve B
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  19. 00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca

i agree
  20. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    G&L : )

i wish i could afford one, every time i play one i just about bust a load........same with rickeys