1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Top Quality Headphones

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jazzbass127, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jazzbass127

jazzbass127

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey guys,

I'm an upright jazz bassist looking for some good over the ear headphones that have great bass and an overall clear sound. I'd use them to listen to all types of music, but also a lot for transcribing, especially bass solos. I'm willing to pay top dollar for anything that will do the job. Let me know if you've got any suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I wear a pair of HD600s constantly. I hardly ever get to hear speakers that sound as good. They're about $350. All the other sub-$1000 cans are for posers.

btw, if you get a nice pair of headphones, you'll probably end up not wanting to listen to "all types of music". ha-ha.

3. doberman

doberman

Sep 16, 2009
    Maryland
    maybe the Sennheiser Orpheus HE90 will be what you are looking for

4. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    I have a pair of the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros. Like 'em very much. They don't sound 'hyped up' like a lot of headphones and they're not as loud as some but overall they sound very natural to my ears. The bass response feels 'true' to me. I have a pair of very nice Dynaudio Acoustic studio monitors and I find that mix work I've done on the 880's translates well to the Dynaudios.

The 880's are 'semi-open backed' so there is a small amount of bleed into your working environment. That might be a problem for some, however the bleed is actually very minimal and I've used the 880's in sessions with no problems to date (had 'em a couple of years now).

Definitely worth checking out. Good luck with your headphone hunt!

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics