1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Top shelf bass amps in Nashville

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big B., Oct 21, 2010.

1. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys. Looking to upgrade my old rig to something newer. Going to be in Nashville next week and I was hoping you guys could offer suggestions for where to find top shelf bass amps. I don't know the local stores or who carries what brands. I play BG and DB and I am looking to try out some of the more "hi-fi" brands such as EA, Acoustic Image, Phil Jones, Markbass, Bag End, Avalon, etc...
    If anyone can help me find the right stores I would really appreciate it. I would also be interested in your amp suggestions. I am looking for a modular setup that could be sized for the appropriate gig. I am open to different setups but I find I have generally preferred the sound of 10" speakers.

2. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The LowEnd
    2295 NW Broad Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37129

3. youngmanhood

youngmanhood

Dec 13, 2009
    gruhn's if you're looking for instruments... but try rock block, and corner music the one bamabass is talking about is in murfreesboro which is like fourty minutes from nashville

4. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys, I will check those out. Any more ideas out there?

5. jdepriest

jdepriest

Sep 20, 2005
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Corner Music. JD is the best.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't know if there's a Mesa dealer there (check the mesa website) but I really like both the walkabout and M9 for doubling work.
    The walkabout Scout 12 is great.
    I don't really like (or have much experience) with much of mesas other cabs that worked as well for DB.

7. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn
    The Low End, Orange Amps, SIT Strings
    If you want bass selection from some one who knows there product go to The Low End and talk to Brian enfff said!

8. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    None of the shops have a huge selection of amps. The Low End, Corner Music, and Guitar Center have the most-yeah I know...

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Can't find good gear in Nashville? ...... Who'd a thunk it?

Really, that doesn't make much sense. There have to be guru's around there nesting in their hideaway's with the baddest stuff you didn't know existed.:D

10. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch. Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    ya...for gear Nasvhille kinda stinks actually. Brian has the best stuff. Mostly Schroeder and Glockenklang amps. He has some good used stuff too. He's an Aggie dealer, but I don't think has much of there stuff in stock currently. Corner has Genz Benz, Ampeg, Hartke, Kustom, Fender, and maybe a couple others. World Music in Bellevue is a Mesa dealer, but I don't think they keep much in stock. I've heard Rock Block is the place for guitar amps. Not sure what they have for bass though. Guitar center suprisingly has some decent stuff in currently. They had a a Demeter pre and a TC amp in when I was there last night (buying a capo for my acoustic).

Outside of that, Nashville is pretty much and Aggie or Ampeg town largely.

11. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    +1 - JD is a real mensch.

12. Not to argue, but I was at The Low End recently, and he no longer carries Schroeder Cabinets. I Really wanted to jam through one too...

13. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I will admit we seem to have a deficit of boutique gear here in town, but I think a lot of that stems from the requirements of the pro players. These guys want gear that "just works" and (not being one) I'd imagine they'd want to stick with gear that's more widely available so it is easier to repair, get spares on the road, etc. Same thing probably applies with bass selection too -- we're much more of a Fender / Sadowsky / MusicMan kind of town than Alembic / Fodera / Ritter one. Still high-quality gear mind you, but just more recognizable brands.

14. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Check out SwampWorks Possum Stomper. Really nice guy, Mr. Morgan, and excellent amplifier!

15. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I'd suggest an 8-ohm 2X10 and a 4-ohm 4X10 as a good modular rig, especially if you like 10's (as do I). You will need a good amp though, one that doubles (or nearly) down to 2 ohms, because the 2X10 and 4X10 in parallel will result in a 2.6 ohm 6X10.
    As an example, an Eden (a brand I'm familiar with - there are plenty of others) WT550 will put out about 300 watts into the 8-ohm 2X10, plenty loud enough for most stages and small clubs. Into the 4-ohm 4X10 the output increases to about 550 watts. With both cabs, at 2.6 ohms, you will be pushing about 650 watts. So, with one amp and two cabs, you're about as modular as can be. Since you plan to double, you'll have to find an amp with clarity and power - not as easy as it sounds. And you probably will want to look at cabs from the same maker, even in the same series, so as to avoid phase cancellation and other issues. That's where good advice is invaluable, but you have to choose, so learning which brands offer what features is important, as well as trying to find out about each particular component's tone, or "house sound". You should choose on the basis of how it sounds to you, and not have to depend on advice. But it is nice to have advice that actually helps with your own particular set of requirements.
    Good luck! :bassist:

BTW, there are a couple of other music stores in Murfreesboro, so a trip to the Low End could be part of a nice tour of the area as well as music stores. And one last thing, the Low End is closed certain days, so I'd call first and find out when they are open.

16. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Corner Music is indeed a great store and they carry Traynor cabs and amp.

Guitar Center Nashville had some bargains and other nice instruments in their used/vintage department. Pricing on these was good too compared with other large city GC.

Also note that The Low End is actually 20/30 minutes outside Nashville.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    does brian from the low end still make that true voice preamp? that thing is great!

18. I have bugged him to make me one for about a year... I guess the profit margin wasn't worth his efforts? Obviously, that is pure speculation. It appears like he doesn't even have an old one in stock to play with.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    bummer...one of the few that actually sounded like a b-15n.