top speed?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Over the past few months I was in somewhat of a slump because I couldnt' really better my playing, I was trying to increase my speed, but I was forced to spend many many hours trying to learning difficult mult-finger techniques (double thump, dominique di piazza, etc.). After futily spending hours on these techniques, I have taken some time off, only to find that my regular two finger speed has increased just as much as I wanted. Anyway, my question is- is there a top speed you can reach where no amount of practicing will increase your speed or dexterity?
  2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    If you wanna play fast learn how to play with 3 fingers..
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, people used to think that nobody could break the 4-minute mile until someone did it. And records for all athletic events keep getting broken. So no, I don't believe anyone can top out for speed. No matter how fast someone gets, there will always be someone who can go just a little bit faster. And then there will be a world full of non-musicians who couldn't give a crap.
  4. Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    I think some people will naturally be able to play a little faster than other people, and eventually everyone will have some kind of personal limit. However, many of us will get frustrated and give up before we genuinely reach our personal limit, in my opinion. Anyway, some people are just naturally faster, so it's better to set goals against yourself, rather than against gifted gods like DiPiazza or Bill Dickens. We all need to remember music is an art form, not a sport. That said, I still wish I could play faster! :D
  5. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Of course when we're working on this kind of thing, its important to remember that these techniques are a means to making good music, so if you shouldn't let yourself get bummed about a few bpm, as long as you like what you're playing.

"A chimpanzee could learn to do what I do physically.
    But it goes way beyond that.
    When you play, you play life."
  6. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Yea the driving force behind me trying to increase my speed was to better express some faster-tempoed musical ideas I had while soloing against faster jazz tunes.