Top wood for my six...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassic83, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What do you all think of this for my top wood on the six I'm building?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Looks cool; Crotch Walnut?
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Tee hee hee.. He said crotch..

Immaturity aside, the wood looks quite nice. I can't wait to see the finished product
  4. Very nice. I love Walnut of any type.
  5. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Actually, it's myrtle burl! I have enough for two tops, plus headstock overlay...what color hardware?
  6. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    BTW, my neck is laid up- M-PH-M-Wenge-M-PH-M...I'd hate to get hit with it, solid as it is. No pics of it yet, but I'll post em when I got em.

Next question- single-cut, or double?
  7. 6 string Single Cut mmmmmm..... Double Cut is great too though. What do your single and double shapes look like?
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Nice bit of wood. I look forward to seeing a pic of it finished in daylight.
    I like the choice of neck timbers too. Why that particular combo?

Oh, make it a double and the hardware black.
  9. looks really good, it has some very nice figuring on it. I think that would look hot with some black hardware. it would be sweet if you could get some matching knobs and/or pickup covers out of that wood also.
  10. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I should have plenty from the cutoffs to effect a set of knobs, and also to do the pickup covers. If not enough for the covers, I'll have plenty of other wood...wenge, purpleheart...maybe I should do ebony covers? Ah, the choices...
  11. I love it, man. That's gonna look awesome!
  12. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That was sanded to 320-grit, then one coat of Danish oil. Might do a slight amber stain with a clearcoat over it, but not sure...I really like the color and depth it has just with the one coat of oil. I have enough to do a couple tops, so I have room to experiment. I can resaw a thin slice to try different stains. Might even try some blue/gold, like buckeye. We'll see...any input here?