1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Top wood problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by max3, Feb 17, 2008.

1. max3

max3

May 14, 2006
    I think I have a problem. It appears that the flame maple I purchased a year ago for my build has warped slightly. The boards are now cuped. When I place the board on a flat surface, the center touches but the edges are not flush. I think I could clamp them down to make them flat but will the glue hold? Thanks.

2. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I read somewhere here a case close to yours and some TBer said that you could put some water over the top and clamp it to a straid piece of whatever you want. Maybe that could work but I wouldnt put much water cause it can make the problem worst than it is right now.

3. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    You should sticker the boards and add weight to the top of them and let them sit a couple of weeks. Its not uncommon for woods to bow or cup with humidity changes. All woods in storage should be stickered and stacked to help avoid such.

4. Howe

Howe

Feb 9, 2008
    how thick is it? a pretty easy way to fix problems like that on thinner woods (anything under a inch really) is to use a iron on steam, get it warm and moist, then laminate it down to your project with as many clamps you can find.

but really if the edges are less then a 1/4", you can just go ahead and glue it up, using lots of clamps.