Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Topic Links

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've been toying with the idea of putting up some links to discussions of previous topics here on the board, so that newbies can have certain basic information handy when they check in (Like Reedo's "How to Buy a DB" thread, etc). What we really need are some FAQ's, but I doubt anyone really has time to be dealing with that anytime soon.

However, with my amazing moderatorial superpowers, I could put up a locked thread that stays at the top of one or more forums that contains links to various topics that have been well covered in the past, so that any potential newbies would have an easier time doing some research on what they're after before they ask some of the more common questions that get asked. The idea is not to prevent new folks from posting, but to help them avoid posting something that has been covered many times before until they have seen the existing information.

What do you guys think? If the idea flies, I could use some help collecting links: anybody who were to find a useful thread could email the forum link and topic to either myself or Don, and we could then put it in the appropriate place.

Paul is also looking for writers (as I'm sure you have noticed), and is toying with the idea of both "ask a pro" and "Luthier's Corner" forums (sorta like "Ask Lex Luthier", if you get my drift). Would any of our resident luthier type dudes be interested in helping man such a forum?

Let me know what you think about all of this stuff.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Chris- Great idea on the links. While newbies are what brings the dawn on the morrow their questions are requiring increasing levels of patience. I have to commend Ray Parker in this-he is most patient. [Also Ed deserves some propers-mostly due to the accuracy of his wet towel snaps]I'd love to do what I could to help this situation.
    As far as Lex heading a Luthier's column-I don't think it is necessary. One, we have a real nice cross section of luthier types and players who have good answers always at the ready. Two, if there was an "Ask Lex Luthier" column Lex might feel obligated to address each and every question that was posted. This might change what has apparently been great fun for him into a responsibility thang. Another problem might be that there are a number of topics in which a luthier might normally respond to at a higher rate-basses, set-up, strings etc as opposed to lets say-technique or recording. This seems to me like it might add an element of Department of Redundancy Dept.
    On that subject I was pleased to hear that the Luthiers Corner in the International Society of bassists journal is now going to be written by the team of Thomas Martin and Arnold Schnitzer!

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'll be glad to host some excerpts if you like, attributing them to this forum. I have picked up some of Barrie Kolstein's especially useful wisdom from the 2xbass and put it on a page on my site, with a link in the Double Bass Links Page - http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Jeff,

It's all good. I didn't really have in mind a place manned by one person, but rather a forum for luthier related questions, where the luthiers would get first shot at those type of questions. I figured that since there are a fair number of "Lex Luthier" types around, it could be a group forum kind of thing. We sort of have that now with the SETUP forum... only problem with that is, when someone asks a question there, they get opinions from luthiers mixed with opinions from guys like me (i.e. - well-intenioned people who might or might not know what they're talking about). But either way, it was just an idea.

On the links thing, all I wanted to ask of everyone is that if you see a thread devoted to a topic that newbies either :
    a) Need to know about, or
    b) Frequently ask redundant questions about

Link it and send it to me in an email, along with your suggestion of where it might be useful, and I'll put it there.

Bob,

I'm kind of cyber-stupid, so I'm not really sure what you have in mind, but if you have some specific FAQ type of info that we could reference from here that would be great. Send it on. In the meantime, I'll include the above link in one or more of these threads (however it turns out). Thanks.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Reedo's "How to Buy a DB" thread was great; however, many aspiring DBers want to know if it is okay to place stickers on their DB, and many will be curious about why the Rosin forum stays relatively quiet. Have their been threads about these issues in the past?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    JAZZTOFU,

Oh, you can bet I'll have some fun with the sticker issue and the rosin forum when the time comes...

EVERYBODY ELSE AND YOUR RELATIVES TOO,

Now that you can see (in the BASSES and AMPS forums) what the links threads are going to look like, feel free to chime in with suggestions and/or links for either those or any other future links threads. Any and all help is good.

(Hint, hint...)

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Bump.

Jeff? Ed? Bob? Anyone???

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I've had a run on busted up emergencies lately so I put this on the back burner-sorry. I think that some of my rant may be appropriate so I'll try to send that along.
    I saw that in my thread "a plug and a plea" that ED posted the word "bump" and I said Huh? Then I saw your bump and figured out what that meant. I'm slow.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    *crackle*......*fizz*...

Roger that, Houston.....****...we have Luthier Rants......**** repeat: we have Luthier rants ......****...... will now attempt to install Rants in setup forum .......****...repeat:..........

10. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    it's a fine idea... the SETUP category (from what I've seen) has worked very well, though. as a luthier, I like seeing the response of all bassists to repair and setup questions. they may not be "qualified", but a LUTHIER area might not bring in as many opinions.
    it has been very enjoyable, to me, to view all the different perspectives on one subject. a great luthier should be able to listen and focus on ALL bassists, and this board gives me a big spectrum of questions and expectations. what works well for one player may not work at all for another. the right answer is relative: setups contain very personal information.

(I sound like a shrink...):rolleyes: