1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Topped off screw in bass body !! EEKK!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 2001-Ps, Sep 14, 2008.

1. 2001-Ps

2001-Ps

Dec 31, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Hello

I need advice on how to get through this mess....

I tried to remove the bottom strap stud on a MIA P bass (ash body) and the screw head just broke !! Leaving the screw body flush with the bass body...I guess the previous owned had used some glue in there as it never happened to me before on other basses...

How do I remove this ``screw`` without damaging / altering the bass ??

Thanks for the help, Mk

2. place photo here-------------->

this can be sorted

3. with a rat tail point cut a groove into it making it into a flat head and unscrew it.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you feel it's been glued in, cut a groove like rollcall said, and apply a bit of heat to loosen the glue before removal.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Drilling out is an option, but it's very tough to do it just right. This might be better left to a pro, if you don't have experience with such things.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Or make a hole saw by using some tubing whose ID is a little larger than the screw, and filing some teeth into the tip. drill deep enough to crack the plug loose, then drill properly to fill with a dowel.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    mr. jones, that is a great idea!

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Not my idea originally, by any means. Just a good idea that I "collected." I think I first got it from Allan Hamilton (Hambone).