Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tore a Ampeg 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karrot-x, Oct 29, 2004.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    In order to get around this area I had to take the grills off. There was a cord magically in the way and when it went over the bump I had to nudge it a little to the right....turns out theres a piece of wood sticking out and now I have a huge tear in my 1x15 what do I do? Is it covered by warranty? How much will it cost to recone? I've never had this happen and I'm so upset right now.

2. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    reconing a speaker is not to expensive and can be done by any speaker shop. I would mkae sure they order the right kit for that speaker. I have fixed them myself (small tears) with RTV and later had them reconed but only because I hated the ugly mess I made with the RTV, they worked fine.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I repair tears in speaker cones with a single ply from toilet paper (yes, really) and nylon based nail polish (Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails...clear).

Paint the nail polish on around the edge of the tear, add a thin strip of tissue, paint nail polish over it to impregnate it really well. Let dry, recoat in a slightly wider area. Let dry, repeat a few more times. Do both sides of the cone.

Works like a charm!!!

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Holy vibraphones! I thought I was the only person who had ever done that............:D

Yes it worked for me too, but I eventually did replace the speaker (no intelligent re-coners nearby).

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I use rubber cement; anything that cures hard could stiffen the cone too much. For a patch material use the same thing the cone is made out of: paper. A small piece of business card works fine.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's why I use nylon based nail polish, it's flexible (and says so on the bottle so it MUST be true ;) ). I bought a cheap EVM 15 on eBay four years ago, it looked fine in the pictures but was a mess when I got it (the seller did say that it needed to be reconed). I repaired all of the tears in the cone as I described in my original post (I call it my Franken15) and have used it a lot with no problems...

I bought a used Acoustic 301 (1x18 folded horn) that sounded great in the shop. When I got it home, I pulled the speaker access cover off to find that the original Vega 18 had some carpet tape on the surround. Removing that, I found huge chunks of surround missing... I bought some cotton muslin fabric that seemed to be about the same as the original surround, creased it to match the pleating of the original, glued it in with a general purpose adhesive that was good for paper and fabric (Duco cement) and then impregnated the whole thing with rubber cement. Worked just fine!