1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tore a Ampeg 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karrot-x, Oct 29, 2004.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    In order to get around this area I had to take the grills off. There was a cord magically in the way and when it went over the bump I had to nudge it a little to the right....turns out theres a piece of wood sticking out and now I have a huge tear in my 1x15 what do I do? Is it covered by warranty? How much will it cost to recone? I've never had this happen and I'm so upset right now.

2. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    reconing a speaker is not to expensive and can be done by any speaker shop. I would mkae sure they order the right kit for that speaker. I have fixed them myself (small tears) with RTV and later had them reconed but only because I hated the ugly mess I made with the RTV, they worked fine.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I repair tears in speaker cones with a single ply from toilet paper (yes, really) and nylon based nail polish (Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails...clear).

Paint the nail polish on around the edge of the tear, add a thin strip of tissue, paint nail polish over it to impregnate it really well. Let dry, recoat in a slightly wider area. Let dry, repeat a few more times. Do both sides of the cone.

Works like a charm!!!

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Holy vibraphones! I thought I was the only person who had ever done that............:D

Yes it worked for me too, but I eventually did replace the speaker (no intelligent re-coners nearby).

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I use rubber cement; anything that cures hard could stiffen the cone too much. For a patch material use the same thing the cone is made out of: paper. A small piece of business card works fine.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's why I use nylon based nail polish, it's flexible (and says so on the bottle so it MUST be true ;) ). I bought a cheap EVM 15 on eBay four years ago, it looked fine in the pictures but was a mess when I got it (the seller did say that it needed to be reconed). I repaired all of the tears in the cone as I described in my original post (I call it my Franken15) and have used it a lot with no problems...

I bought a used Acoustic 301 (1x18 folded horn) that sounded great in the shop. When I got it home, I pulled the speaker access cover off to find that the original Vega 18 had some carpet tape on the surround. Removing that, I found huge chunks of surround missing... I bought some cotton muslin fabric that seemed to be about the same as the original surround, creased it to match the pleating of the original, glued it in with a general purpose adhesive that was good for paper and fabric (Duco cement) and then impregnated the whole thing with rubber cement. Worked just fine!