1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tore skin off my index finger - slap & pop

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mouthmw, Apr 20, 2010.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I haven't been slapping much before, haven't really been into that technique until recently when I decided to build it up a bit. So I learned the song Higher Ground by TRHCP. I finally got the speed and the sound pretty much right through the whole song and I really got into it a lot, playing it quite rough (I guess Flea inspired style but I'm always rough even fingerstyle).
    Anyways, I haven't even noticed right off, until I stopped playing. My index finger was bleeding. Found some blood on the strings as well.
    What happened is, I tore the skin a bit, just below my nail on my index finger. It happened because it bangs on the E string when I pop the D string. My thumb is ok, I already developed a callous. I switched to middle finger, tried popping that way, and the same thing happens.
    Anyone have/had that problem? Now it hurts like a bitch and I can't slap & pop since I'd be hitting raw flesh on the E string.

2. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Don't worry, it will heal and get better. My thumb, index and middle finger are very hard from just that. When I started to learn Victor Wooten's double thump technique, I tore that crap out of thumb. Yes, to the point of bleeding. I let it rest for a few days and harden up, then I kept going. Plus, as you do it more , your technique will improve and you will find what works best for you.

3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Thanks man! I always said, if it bleeds, it means you've skilled up a point! :D

4. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    Your finger will be a little tender when it heals, but it'll heal. The key is to stop every now and then BEFORE you've blistered and/or bled, see how your fingertip is doing, and then stop that particular application of technique for the day or continue, depending. The fingertip will callous just as effectively if you rest it overnight (rather than playing to the point of tearing the skin), and -- bonus! -- you'll be able to play the next day rather than waiting three or four (or more) days for it to heal up.

Of course, you can always be hard core and coat your fingertip in Superglue if you want to get right back to it. I wouldn't recommend this approach, though; I did it once because I needed to be 100% for a gig and I had a Superglue fingertip for several weeks. It was weird.

5. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Flaying yourself by playing? I don't care what style you play: that is metal. Mind if I inquire as to what bass you are using?

:D

6. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Play through the blood. Nothing says "Awesome show" like a bloody bassist.

7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    lol yea, nothing like spraying some blood on the audience.
    it's yamaha bb414

it's not the tip of the finger, those are already hard plenty.
    it's just below my nail, where the root of the nail is.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I like having good pick playing skills because when you get finger injuries on your right hand then you can pull out a pick and keep going without bleeding on your bass.

9. Its called a cuticle. I've destroyed mine many times, mostly because instead of a pick I use my fingernail. And some songs you just gotta really dig into the groove. Nothing beats the tone from bloody strings. :D

10. jpfbass

jpfbass

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Yea this exact samething happened to me when i was learning how to slap. Eventually it just stopped happening to me, I guess I got a callous or maybe my technique improved or something. Just take like a day long break to let your finger heal, and you'll be good.