Tori Amos appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tsal, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's a thread dedicated to Tori Amos!

I personally like her style very much, and like to think her as one of the few truly blessed songmakers today. She has very strong style that is just something out of this world, and somehow reminds me of Ian Anderson's works.

Bought the Scarlet's Walk yesterday, a very good album. I highly recommend this to anyone who thinks he could enjoy the somewhat experimental piano-and-female-vocals material.. Not forgetting he tasty rhythm section(Matt Chamberlain/Jon Evans) on this album adds to the feel :)
  2. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks her music is reminiscent of Tull.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I never made the Tull connection... but YES! I hear it too

I own Tori's first couple disks and haven't been to impressed this her newer releases... but I like the single from the new one. I might pick it up in the near future.

[off-topic] I just stumbled across a new CD World near me and stopped in to check it out. I scored a "Macio Parker - Roots Revisited" disk used for $3 :) [/off-topic]
  4. I think her cover of Raining Blood by Slayer is a great song.
  5. and Smells Like Teen Spirit...

I've never really listened to her, only that one song at a concert she and Maynard James Keenan did
  6. Not too familiar with her own recordings. But I bought that recent album from a year or so back, can't remember the name of it. It was all covers.

Absolutely love her versions of "I dont like Mondays" and "Rattlesnakes". Great stuff.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I will readily admit that I'm an intense Tori Amos fan, (in fact, George Porter Jr. played bass for 2 1/2 of her albums). My friend and I have tickets to our 8th Tori concert next month.

I did not buy her cover album. I just couldn't dig it. My friend, a more JimK like fan, (a "completist"), insisted it was still worth having. I just couldn't do it.

I need to pick up her new album though, I still haven't heard a single track.

Favorite album: Under the Pink
    Favorite track: Cornflake Girl.

Tori Parodies my friend and I have written complete lyrics to:

From Under My Sink:
    Pretty Good Beer
    Zod (Superman Reprise)
    Smells Like Her
    Pass the Jelly
    Yes, Euthanasia

From Little Cupcakes
    Happy Donut
    Beer in my Hand
    Little Cupcakes
  8. Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Her band kicks ass!!! She was on Letterman a couple of weeks ago and they sounded tight. I have never heard any of her albums , but if they are anything like her live performances I'm sure they are worth checking out.
  9. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    You really should give it a chance. It is so OUT there that is is cool. Listening to her twisted take on some of those songs is intense. I had to listen to it half a dozen times before I started to get it.

10. i still need to pickup 'scarlets walk"

how's the free dvd included?
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The DVD thingie that comes with the Limited Edition has videos on Gold Dust and Scarlet's Walk, polaroid show of some kind and Tori's commentary on those tracks. The box also contains some polaroid photos, small stickers, map and a small trinket.

Nice bonus those are, but nothing really must to have really. What I don't like about the special box set is that both discs are in cardboard wrapping - they could had spend the $2 more and put proper single cases in.