Torn 3 different ways - Please Advise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odtopher, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Lakland 44-64

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Sterling by Musicman Ray 34/35

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Schecter Diamond P-Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. odtopher

odtopher

Nov 6, 2018
    I am primarily a guitarist about to buy my first bass. Actually its my second...I sold my first one years ago since I wasn't really feeling the bass I bought (Fender Mexican Jazz - Natural).

I have very eclectic musical tastes and I like to play in a bunch of different projects, so I will need a versatile instrument. My primary motivation is to use this bass in home recordings, but having a live instrument would be cool too. I will probably use it in some down-tuned metal stuff. I can't slap well currently, but I plan on teaching myself how so some funky / jazzy sounds will need to be in there too. I also like punk and Motown and virtuoso-esque shredding (Billy Shehan), etc.

I have 3 basses I'm currently looking at. 1) LAKLAND 44-64 (P bass). 2) Sterling Musicman Ray 34/35. 3). Schecter Diamond P - plus.

The Lakland is the old-school (passive) P sound that we've known forever. They're spec'd out better than any Fender at the same price point. I've heard that P's don't track that well for heavily distorted &/or down-tuned music. is this accurate?

The Sterling / Musicman is the obvious choice for rock / metal, but I don't think I'm going to get James Jamerson tones from one.

The Schecter is the combination of both (Has a P / MM pickup combo). Seems like the best choice for the versatility, but I've found with guitars significant sacrifices in quality of sound when you try to go for the most versatile instrument.

Thoughts and or input would be appreciated

2. odtopher

odtopher

Nov 6, 2018
    Update: Never mind. I bought an American P with a Bill Lawrence Pickup. If the Lakeland I was originally looking at was still up for grabs when I pulled the trigger, I probably would have gone for it. I don't know if I made the right choice yet or not, but I'm feeling pretty good about this. The bass is still on its way.

Before I pulled the trigger, I went to a couple local music shops one last time and played several basses including the Ray 34 & 35, some Ibanezes, a Modulus and a more modern designed Lakland. I decided that a 5 string will have to be in the stable next, but probably not for quite some time. The bass I liked the best was a Nash. The neck was like a baseball bat and took some getting used to after playing all the more modern basses, but WOW what a tone and holy moly it was light weight! Then I played an American P: similar enough tone, more affordable, more comfortable neck. Apparently, I'm a 'P' guy.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021