Torn between 2 cabs! Has anyone played the GK 810 or 412?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Nov 30, 2004.

1. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Ok, here is my situation, I need a large cab for my hardcore band I play in. I have a 1001 rbII head and I have narowed it down to these 2 cabs the new GK 810 and 412. My g/f is is offering to put some money down on me one of them for christmas. I haven't played either cab but from the specs they are both pretty awesome cabs. Here are the pro's and cons. If you have played either cab tell me alittle about it and what you think.

I know I like the sound of 810 cabs I have played though before. Ampeg 810's are pretty cool but i know i want a tweeter and the biamp control of the GK cab will rule as well. On the other hand the size and weight come in to play. It will easily fit into my car but Im thinking in the long run it may not be a cab that i will always need (not really the biggest factor for me but yeah...)

Size and weight are a big plus. plus if i remember correct its rated at something like 107 db! all the specs look really awesome on this thing but im not sure if a 412 is right for me. Would this thing be as punchy as an 810? Would it cut through as well? Mids are a big factor in my sound so I really need to avoid anything mid scooped.

Keep in mind that Im going up against 2 tube half stacks, (5150 and peavey tripple X) and I need something loud, punchy, and that will definetly cut through in the mix.

2. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've only owned a Peavey 412TVX, but as far as cutting through, 4 12's not only cut through...they will slice, dice and pound anything in it's way.

4 12" speakers, IMO, are overkill, unless you play in a very loud band. I would commonly outdo our big PA, without even cranking it all the way. With my 412, I was very seldom even run through the PA at all. And we were a pretty loud band and it was a large PA (dual 18" subs on each side, etc.). Even outdoors I could get insanely loud.

I switched to a 410 that offered more control over my sound without getting insanely loud and I prefer that. I'm not sure about the GK, but 412's will definitely "cut" through any given situation with enough wattage.
  3. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    i used to have a 412 tvx and gigged with it for about 4 years. i actually had the opposite impression of the cab. it seemed a little scooped to me. it did have impressive low end though. i have to say i liked it a lot better than an ampeg 810. i just couldn't seem to get an even response out of it. the rest of my rig may not have meshed well with it though. btw i routinely put a 2000 watt power amp to it with no problems.(with either a groove tubes pre or my current custom built pre) the ampeg farted out where the 412 would stay tight.

however i feel that the new gk cabs are a cut above either of those two cabs. i like different things about 10's and 12's so it's kind of a crap shoot. personally between the two i would go for the 412(lighter and smaller). not to sound like everybody else but i went with a schroeder 21012 and got 10's and a 12. i've never been happier. i would love to try the new neo gk's though and costomer support is wonderful. hell there is an employee that is a member of this forum who has been known to answer questions and even settle customer problems personally. wow!
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just a warning, the GK 810 will probably sound very very very very different from the Ampeg 810.

Try them both out.
  5. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for the replys so far, keep them comming.

Yeah I know what you mean I just have no way to try out the 412 cab w/o driving to riks music. And I don't know any way to try out the 810. The GC here doesn't have any plans for getting in the 810 the only thing they could tell me about it is they match musicians friend prices because they own them. Haha thanks for the help GC.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Guitar Center will match and beat any price from any authorized dealer anywhere. Its their official policy. I know because I used to work there. ;)
  7. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    The Neo412 will be lighter and more portable. Also, personally I feel as though it has a more even response. It won't be as punchy, but this is a GK cab and you shouldn't have any problem cutting through any sound.
    If you really want a full stack I'd highly recommend the RBH410 + RBH115. It has a controlled 410 and a fuller sounding 15'. And you could only take one cab for smaller gigs.
    Neo412 was my first choice and I'm definately not disappointed. And it has 1200w RMS handling which means you can always upgrade to a 2001RB or other high power head.