Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Torn Between Basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SkaKing27, Feb 23, 2003.

1. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    Well,I am currently in the process of buying a new bass,I am torn between a Fender P-Bass Special or a Fender Jazz.I wanted to see what you thought.Thanks.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I say go for the Jazz bass. Its very versitile tone wise. The p-bass is a solid player... but not my bass of choice. I love the feel and growl of a Jazz bass

3. For ska I prefer the Jazz.

It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend. DO NOT SPEND 400 BUCKS ON A MIM FENDER J. It is not worth that much IMO.

Look for one around 300 bucks, or used for even less.

Never played the P Deluxe, but I like the J-tone. It sounds pretty good. You can cheaply replace the bridge and pickups in the future to make it an even better bass, or you can go the Warmoth route or buy an MIA.

Lots of options here. Have you played them both?

4. personally, i would go with the jazz. the difference is j/j pickups, versus p/j. and the body shape is slightly diferent, right? and the p-special costs more.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    get an HM 4, you get 50% more pickups than a J, and you can get one used for under $300......ok so maybe ya cant, seeing as they were made in very small numbers and discontinued. but I got one, and I like it more than any P or J. and I guess thats not an option anyway....oh well...ill go away now...

6. P/J setup is kinda growly and has quite a bit of midrange and bite, not much in the way of warmth. J-basses, on the other hand, offer a good amount of growl as well as warmth. I'd say the J.

7. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I would also say the J-bass. Because you will have more options in the future, pick up wise if you choose to change them.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I prefer the P.

9. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    I have played both,I am currently playing a P,but it is in horrible shape after it was mishandeld.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The J wouldnt cut it in my current band, so Id go for the P special.

If I were playing a more old school style rock, then the J would work pretty good and Id have trouble deciding.

Peace
    Nick

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    For ska? go J all teh way...

12. *beatbox on*

What's that you say?
    What's that you play?
    There's just one thing, I can say

And that's that I play-A J
    Yeah, a J
    So don't you fellas block my way
    Why don't you ladies bump and sway
    cuz I got the J

Yeah

That's the only way
    With-a-J

*beatbox off*

lousy Kurtis Blow...:rolleyes:

13. :) That made my day after getting sniped with 6 seconds left on an eBay auction. :(

14. Jazz Basses have growl and warmth-they play great. I've owned both and prefer a J-bass. They cut it in any band and any situation. To me a P-Bass is too round and flabby-not enough definition. JMO...

15. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    My band plays a punk/ska,similar to Operation Ivy.And at school the jazz band obvisouly(sp?) plays jazz,but I normally play upright for that.

16. Glad to help. :)