torn between synth set-ups

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rekesbass, Apr 19, 2002.

1. o.k, I know I want a synth sound but I'm torn between the EH bass micro-synth and getting the seperate units(env.fil\fuz\oct)...would there be any benefits to having seperate pedals? I'm looking at getting a q-tron+\oct mult.plex\big muff(all e-h stuff)but I really like the bass micro-synth(I like the moog sounds).will the seperates do what the micro does or am I dreamin...can anyone shed some light on tax return GAS...real bad......very painful......must relieve...pain....intense pain......
  2. you might not be able to get the exact microsynth sound but then again you could get whole different ones too... with seperate pedals you can also use each effect individuality when you want to.
  3. What the heck are ya sweatin' that for? Only one answer pal and you know it; buy them all!

4. Gotta catch em all!!
    Kenlowpasseoko! I choose you!

(why is it that I feel like a sell out right now?)
  5. Nevermind, read another thread that answered my question....
  6. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    OC-2 into Bassballs is pretty saweet.
  7. mad sub your right ...I'm buyin'em all just got the EH bms..I really like that one..I'm thinkin of getting the boss one too for the more modern synth sounds(I know it's digital..but a good sounding pedal)I'm also goin for a delay to drive everyone in the band nuts...and to get those crazy reverese(synth bass) echos..
  8. well i hope I wasn't a bad influence or anything....
  9. What? You a bad influence? Perish the thought. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
  10. lead me not into temptation,......I will find it myself!!;)
  11. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Rekesbass -
    I was sort of hoping to get the same info as you, but I can't buy all of the pedals I want right now. I ahve an octaver, distortion, and chorus, but I want to get a flanger and envelope filter and/or bass synth. It looks like I have to just get out and try a bunch because it's so subjective.

Trouble is, I can't find an EBS BassIQ locally. (San Francisco) I'm curious about the Ibanez SB7, as well as the Boss synth bass pedal.

I tried the Line6 filter modeler, and I didn't like the sound all that much. I also didn't find the pedal very intuitive.
  12. benevan

May 2, 2002
    Give the Akai Deep Impact a go. A great pedal and very versitile - certainly as good as (if not better than) my microsynth. Plus, the presets are awesome.

While I'm mentioning the Deep Impact, I've been hovering around this forum for a couple of weeks now and have not noticed anything about this pedal when refering to synths. Is it simply unknown or overlooked, or does no one particularly care for it?
  13. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I used to own one ... Even though I liked it and programmed some good patches, I decided to sell it and buy a few individual effects boxes instead. I feel I have more flexibility this way...

It's definitely a fun little box, though!
  14. Probably because most of us are sick of talking about it. Do a search and you will find tons of info on this box..and other bass synths as well.
  15. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I don't really understand the concept of a "bass synth." Do these boxes contain real analog snyths (oscillators)? Does your bass trigger the oscillators? Or does the box just modify your sound so that the waveform resembles that from a synth.

I'm not sure that I really need a true bass synth. With my octaver, distortion, chorus, and (hopefully) envelope filter or autowah, I'm hoping to be able to approximate synth bass sounds.

BTW, does anyone here use the Emma DiscumBOBulator?

I'm amazed at the price ranges for these stomp boxes. Orders of magnitude difference.

16. benevan

May 2, 2002
    Mad Subwoofer - Yep, I found more info with the search, though not as much as you hint at...

shirojiro - I have an EMMA on order. I'm kind of taking a chance as I have not tried one but they aren't expensive ($150 + shiping) and I have heard only good things about them.
  17. let us know about your EMMA; I was eyeballin' those myself.
    There has been so much said about the Deep Impact. Make sure your search isn't just in the "headers". Check for any post with the word "filter" or "synth"....
  18. shirojiro, I recently tried the boss synth and was'nt blown thing I found intresting was that you don't even have to play the strings to get chirpy,blurpy sounds out of it...striking muted strings makes for some weird sounds...and sometimes I did'nt have strike the strings at all...which really turned me off about this pedal not to mention the price.for a few extra bucks you can get a EH bass microsynth....I kinda waiting for the Ibanez myself.even if it is'nt great I still might buy one anyway(so far it's getting some good reviews here at TB)for under $ can't go fact I pretty impressed with all the Ibanez pedals I've tried.I can't comment on the EBS...hav'nt tried it,but I think its a env.fltr.which BTW would be a good addition to your current far as the line6 fm4 modeler,I pretty much have the same feelings as you...not overly impressed and not real user after that long winded answer,I'll say this .......go try'em!!!!
  19. THAT is the diff between digital and analog. With the evil digital stuff you feel like you have to play IT rather than it playing along with you. You can work with that (as I do with my Korg G5) but subtlety ain't something it'll do. I would check out the EH for quality and the Boss for convinience.
    I tried the Ibanez yesterday BTW and thought it was nifty? A variable "Bass-balls"-ish effect i thought. For $79 at GC you can't go wrong.
  20. Ok, it's digital and evil yes i know....I want one.