1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Torn between two basses... any Roscoe/Warwick session players?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RizzleB, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Warwick Thumb BO

2. Roscoe SKB Standard 4 (Aguilar pickups)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RizzleB

RizzleB

Nov 25, 2017
    I'm replacing my "pawn shop starter P bass" after a year and a half of playing (spending ~$2k). I'm an aspiring engineer/producer that's made the decision that bass guitar would make a great supplemental instrument to help me produce my own hip hop tunes (Dr.Dre/Jake One/Alchemist vein), study tonality, and communicate theory-wise with clients.
    I hung out at my local store today torn between a Warwick Thumb and a used Roscoe SKB w/ Aguilar pickups (4 strings). I'm not slapping quite yet, but since Flea, Mike Gordon, Tim Commerford, etc. are big influences of mine, I'd like to set myself up for this in the future. Some reggae freedom would be nice too as you can throw Eric Wilson on the list.

My confusion comes from the idea that my hands loved the Warwick and that growl made my neck hairs stand up, but I'm told I would get more tonal versatility out of the Roscoe (keep in mind, this is for studio application). To me, the Roscoe appeared to have PBass pickups, but the store clerk insisted it was actually a Victor Wootenesque pick-up configuration that makes for a "slap machine?" When I hit the Roscoe, I loved the tone and even recalled thinking "this would sit really well in a mix" but the Warwick had something unique (aside from the 10 extra pounds). Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    10 extra pounds?

I hope that's pounds sterling and not pounds avoirdupois; otherwise that's one heavy bass and probably better suited for Black Sabbath covers. :smug:

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I suspect the "10 extra pounds" was a figure of speech for "noticeably heavier"...
    Both are great basses. Go with your ear and your heart.

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Warwicks are not tonally limited or lacking in versatility in any way, just look at the range of people who play them and the styles of music they play. Whoever hinted they were was not being straight with you. Since you're making your own music, trust your own ears, not the store clerk's.

TolerancEJ and Aqualung60 like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I agree with the above. Versatility is in the hands of the player.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Both are fantastic and unique sounding basses. At this level it comes down to personal preference, especially the body shapes with the Thumb very small.

7. I have a Thumb 5 string and just received a Roscoe SKB 5 string. Both are fantastic choices. The Thumb does have a unique sound but it`s a sound that may work well for what you`re doing. It`s also a slap machine. The SKB doesn`t have as strong a character and the preamp has a stacked mid control for more tone shaping. I would say you`d get more versatility out of the Roscoe. Tough decision!

8. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Feeling like a fool
    Knowing buying both of them
    Is breaking all the rules? :smug:

jjmuckluckjr likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Both are great basses. Get whichever is more comfortable to play.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have never played a Roscoe (that I recall) and have played several Warwicks over the years.

I'd go with the Roscoe.

11. Why recommend Roscoe if you've never played one?

Low84 and flyingfinbar like this.
  12. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Never enjoyed one or the other picks. You’ve played them both, right? Presumably through the same amp. Eyes, hands, ears. They’ll be your ultimate guide. Visual appeal comes first. Then feel;weight, balance, neck and finish. Finally, ears, how does it sound in your rig. It’s personal. And precious few will ever hear/know the difference. Good luck.

Camarillo likes this.
  13. JES

JES Supporting Member

Keep in mind that a single good tone can be as “versatile” for studio work as many different tones.

14. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'll make a guess. He didn't like any of the Warwick's he played and is therefore recommending anything other then Warwick.

Doctor J likes this.
  15. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Having owned a Thumb and several Roscoe's I'd go for the Roscoe for the sake of versatility alone. Unless the thumb offers the particular sound you are looking for.

16. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have owned both. I presently own 3 Roscoe basses. Just my opinion.

17. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    This is outside the format but I would suggest a nice passive Fender P5 or 4 and a nice rackmount pre for your situation. You'd still be under $2000.

18. That would be my guess too.

19. Having played both I’m just gonna leave this right here
    89DEA897-8CBD-4178-A2C2-4B287544C05E.

20. He could buy the Warwick or the Roscoe AND get a Squier or Mexican Fender for a few bills more.