Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Torn between two basses!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PICK, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Modulus Quantum 5 w/ Bartolini's

23 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Sadowsky 24 Fret 5

55 vote(s)
    63.2%
  3. Stuff the 5 get a 7 string

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Im officially torn between 2 different 5 string basses. I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    Give me the for and against of each bass. I know you will probably tell me to play them both and decide for myself but its slightly hard to do in a musically third world country. :D

Bass 1- Modulus Quantum 5 with bartolini P/ups and pre amp.

Bass 2- Sadowsky 24 fret 5.

They will both cost around the same. Which would you choose?????? and why?????

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd go for the Sadowsky.

1. 'cos the fisishes they get on their basses look absolutely lovely
    2. 'cos I quite fancy a custom Jazz type bass
    3. 'cos fellow TBer Nino-Brown now works there and might get you a good deal!

Over to you! :)

3. I've owned both a Modulus with Barts and Sadowsky. My preference is the Sadowsky. It records better with less fuss, sounds better on tape and, IMHO is just a higher quality instrument all around.

Good luck!
    Jeff

4. No brainer: Sadowsky all the way.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    They should both be over 3 grand and under 4! :D

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Such as???

8. For $3000-$4000 you could probably get a Warwick Dolphin, which, IMO, is the sweetest bass ever. I haven't actually played one, though. Traa from POD plays one and he has the best sound I have ever heard for that style of music.

9. Wow, that price range gives you a lot of options. Shop around, have a look at Jerzy Drozd, Elrick, Carl Thompson, Warrior, Conklin, Pedulla, etc. With three grand in your pocket for a bass you can definetly find some beautiful instruments.

10. Really there is no question man it's Sadowsky all the way.

11. Ah...okay, cause Quantum 5's sell for between $1300-$2000 used over here in the States.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I compared a Quantum 5 w/Barts to my Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string a few months ago & I liked everything on the Sadowsky better.

The Modulus is a GREAT bass, tho. Personally I liked the Q5 w/EMG's better than with barts, but I'm a EMG freak.

I think the next non Sadowsky bass I buy will be a Quantum 5 w/EMG's, but I'd recomend a Sadowsky 24 fret for you.

13. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    ...spending 3-4000 is freakin crazy.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why?

15. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

3 to 4 grand crazy.. Well I've been crazy a few times... Both are great basses and I have owned or currently own both... I'd say Sadowsky... It will also have better resale value too... Steven....

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ....for you, Absolutly normal for me. :)

17. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I buy nothing second hand except something that is no longer available brand new. Such as vintage SVT or a '57 P-Bass. Im not saying that second hand is **** but i try not to buy second hand- thats just the way i am.

18. How about 4000+?

:D

19. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I played a 24 fret 5 a few years ago. I loved the sound. But i cant remember if it played well. It also had a $5000 price tag at a time when i had about $10. Ive always thought of using a Sadowsky out board pre but then thought why not just go all the way and get one. I liked the EMG's on the Sadowsky but i have hated them on every other bass that had them.