1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Torn between two basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Keep the MIA Fender

99 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. Keep the Squier CV

23 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. You're an idiot, keep both

88 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. Keep the one with the best carrot flavour

22 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    So, I'm trying to get down to a one bass set up (currently have three) and am torn on which one to keep.

My Vintage Tony Butler will be the first one to go, that's the easy bit.

But I'm torn between my Squier and Fender - try not to laugh :p

The Squier is a CV, Fiesta red and rosewood, with an aftermarket black pickguard, otherwise stock. It wears flats, but it suits rounds as well if it has to - flats suit it way more though.

And my 2008 Fender MIA P, oly white and maple, also with a black pickguard and otherwise stock. This one wears elixirs. I've tried flats on it several times, and each time I'm relieved to go back to the elixirs, flats just don't seem to suit this bass at all.

The fender wins hands down on looks, tone, action, build quality, and seems like it was really made to last a lifetime.

The squier however, the neck feels like it was made with my hand in mind. I like the vintage frets, and I also like the flats, but could live if I only had rounds.

What to do? Please vote, and feel free to explain your choice also :)

EDIT: I should say, I would keep both, but they're much more different than they sound, and swapping between them all the time for me seems to cause issues. I am not a talented player, and I love consistency!

2. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Heck, if you like the CV better than the MIA, sell the MIA! You'l obviously get way more for it thatn you would for the Squier. Who cares what the headstock says on it. I have everything in my guitar and bass stable from a Korean made Squier, to a RW MIM Strat, a MIM 50's Classic P and a 1976 P. All are killer!

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Science they're both P's, have you thought about just swapping necks? If you like the way fender sounds more, I'd keep it and just put the squire neck on the fender. Or maybe just put different pups in the squire if you're not happy with the tone of it. I put EMG's in my squire and she absolutely sings. Although I'm even thinking of putting some dimarzio DP 146's in it just to try em out. I heard they are way loud and have great tone.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    That says it all to me. The Fender is the keeper. The Squier may feel good, and it is I'm sure a great bass, but the Fender is built better and will last longer. It should take a set up better and play better in the long run because it is better. The frets can eventually be changed to vintage frets even. The neck could be shaved down some if you wanted. But the build quality and tone will always be there.

I believe if you got rid of the Squier, you'd adjust to the Fender just fine.

Maybe not, who knows? :p

Good luck with your decision!

5. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Keep both. Personally I have 3 basses. 1 stock Squier, a modded Ibanez and a Stock Ibanez. They all sound different and feel different. I go through phases where I will only play one of them for months and months and then out of the blue pick up a different one and decide that is my favorite and play that for a while. I've personally tried to sell 2 of them but didn't end up going through with it in the end and years later I am super glad I didn't.

Also I want to comment on how my whole life I've been hearing from older guys talk about instruments they used to have that they sold way back in the day and have regretted it every minute since. Some of them have even been able to get far better instruments (original was a mediocre model at best) and would trade it in a heart beat for what they used to have. This has been my guiding light on why I never followed through with selling.

6. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    I am one of those older players and it is SO TRUE! Unless you absolutely HATE the bass, DON'T SELL IT!

Fortunately for me, I have recently been fortunate enough to have the cash to rebuy newer updated versions of the two lost bass models of my past that hurt the most to loose. I sold both of them because I had to for financial reasons which made the loss that much harder to live with. I loved both of them used them on several album projects and some sessions I did, but hearing them on those tracks is still painful in some ways for me. ;)

7. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    "I'm torn between...". Story of my life, man.

It sounds like you know what you like and want out of each of them, so I think you should consider changing out the neck of your MIA, getting a proper setup, and see what happens. Any way you slice it, I think that you're in a great position, having the experience of multiple basses and figuring out what you like. Use that information to get a bass that satisfies all of those preferences. But until you are absolutely certain, I'd say keep both basses.

Best of luck!

8. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Keep them both. You need one for flats, and one for rounds!

9. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    Get rid of both, and get either a Classic '50s or a Roadworn '50s P in Fiesta Red - if you're ok with the 1.75" nut... Slap a black pg on it from WD Music (they've got a Road Worn/Classic '50s specific selection of PBass pgs now) and you're good to go. If you can live with the relicing on the body, the Road Worn would be the perfect choice - they're usually light and the neck.. Oh man...

It would be the best of both worlds... Incredibly solid bass with a comfortable neck, vintage size frets, and tone for days.

10. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I think it depends on why. If you're selling them because you simply have too many instruments you might as well sell the CV. You can always get another and they won't ever appreciate in value by more than a few hundred bucks whereas the MIA could appreciate a little in the long run if you take care of it.

If you need the money sell the MIA. It'll net you more coin for now.
    I personally would hate to be stuck with a bass that only suited flatwounds. I can't stand flats so I'd be dicking the CV.

11. i think you've answered your own question. Seriously, keep the one you're most pleased with, the name on the headstock/co$t of the instrument don't really mean much of you're not totally happy with it.

12. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I would keep both but what you do is what you do. You either jump off the bridge or you don't.

My only beef is that you don't come back all crybaby and stuff regretting that you sold whatever and you want to buy it back and all that crap.

13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Neither of these basses are rarities. If you had seller's regret, you could purchase these models again. However, there is enough variance in most instruments that you might not find another Squier who's neck "feels like it was made for your hand" to the same degree as the one you have. For this reason, I suggest you hold on to that Squier.

You state that you feel the MIA has superior tone. I would simply take a small portion of the proceeds from the sale of the MIA and invest in some upgrade pups for the Squier.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

I LIIIIIKE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I suggest keeping both if only because you could use one as a backup. Otherwise I think if you must sell one, even if the reason is that you will feel more settled, then keep the one that motivates you to play more. Right now, I am evaluating my line up and I am more and more convinced that feels good and sounds good trumps name brand. Music is supposed to be fun and expressive. But enough about me! Let us know what you decided so I can be happy for you regardless of your choice :cool:

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I like the general consensus and agree, keep the neck on that squire. And/or just keep the squire, and sell the MIA to fund some killer pups for the squire. Plus, i think you'll have a lot of money left over if you do sell the MIA and just get new pups for the squire, so there's more room to buy other things to supplement what you already have if you want. There are some great suggestions here. Bottom line is, don't get rid of the one you feel is made for you. It's a rare thing, I think, to find a bass were the neck fits your hands and sting style perfectly. And it boils down to what's going to make you, your hands, ears, mind and heart happy.

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    +1. I'd like to know what you do too.

18. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I am taking my time and evaluating everything. I don't have urgency but I do want to just develop a relationship with a primary instrument.

19. I agree with having a backup. Depending on what you're using it for though. If you sit at home and play and never play out, then one would do. If you play out though it's always a good idea to have a spare.

20. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    lets get this straight... you have a MIA P, which half of TB would die to own, its an appreciating asset, that looks great, built like a tank and has tone from the gods..

...and you would sell it....?..

..........to keep a squier?.......?

Suggest you play it solid for a month without touching anything else, then if you still cant stand great looks and great tone i will swap you for any squier you want :D