1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Torn Meniscus. Hooray.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Aug 26, 2012.

1. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    So while pushing something heavy at work I stupidly pivoted on my right knee and it poped out and I hit the ground in much pain. After 100 questions from paramedics a mountain of workers comp papers and an ER trip I am now in a knee brace and cructches/wheelchair. This happened on day 2 of my new job working for the 'evil empire' (wal-mart). But they actually handled it really well and paid for everything I needed and then some. They also rearranged my schedule so I don't lose hours this week cause I'm hourly management. So all in all wal-marts not as bad as every body makes it out to be( no labor union discussions please).

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Bummer deal, that is a painful injury. I did the same thing last December. It hurts real bad now and then, but I can shake it off and go back to what I was doing without much hassle.

-Mike

3. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    That sucks--I've done it, and eventually had surgery. It works reasonably well now. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

That said: You need to talk to an attorney, now. Not an ambulance chaser, and you may not ever need to pursue anything. But you should have that in your pocket if you have longer term issues with a workplace injury. If you know a lawyer, or can call a local law school's clinic, it might be a good way to get some advice from someone without a profit motive.

If you're not comfortable with an attorney, at the least, you should not talk about this on the internet. You've already made a couple of statements that an opposing attorney would seize on to make this "your fault." Unfortunately, I've seen this happen.

I'm partly speaking from experience here--I broke a wrist on the job when I was about 18, and I just chalked it up to experience, even though it was a clear case of negligence. 35 years later, my wrist is still wonky.

The good news is, you can play your bass while you recover, and there's plenty of nonsense in TBOT to keep you distracted!

Feel better!

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Three torn meniscus surgeries here over the last 20 years. Twice on my right knee and one on my left. The good news is it requires a much less-serious surgery (and easier recovery) than torn ACL or MCL surgery.

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    That's great they are taking of you and not trying the ,"we think you getting old and had knee problems already " stunt ..

And they want you at work .... Lost time accidents are bad for them or any employer in many ways ,,,,one of them is their insurance rates...

6. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    I had surgery last year. The best thing to do from now on is to develope really good thigh muscle strenght. It's amazing how the knee joint depends on musculature for stability.

7. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    Oh! and good luck with recovery.

8. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I've been diagnosed with a torn miniscus in my left knee. Got the shot and physical therapy. Pretty much back to normal.

When I first went to the physical therapist, he moved my leg around a bit and then asked, "have you ever had a bad ankle injury?" I said that I had about 10 years ago. He said he thought so, since my injury was at least in part due to my muscles compensating for the injury over the years, which built up an imbalance that contributed to the torn miniscus.

Why do I mention this? I have become a strong believer in physical therapy and many of the folks here may be courting future injuries if they don't take care of their past ones properly. :)

9. I had that long ago from a roofing accident, and oh what pain! I had arthroscopic surgery to fix the problem, but it took a lot of time to heal.

I found out one thing though - with one leg incapacitated; it might as well be both. A one legged person is really limited.

Hope you get better soon.

~David Lee

10. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Went through it back in 2007. Although you won't think so at the time, physical therapy is your friend. Take it seriously and work.

11. Definitely a case of "No Pain No Gain"