1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Torn speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eddododo, Jun 29, 2012.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    When playing at low volume there is a soft distortion sound.. If I play louder I hear my normal bass tone, as in the distortion seems to stay at one level..
    Its hard to test if its actually not distorted at higher volume because its late. But my point is that if I play a light touch, I hear distortion more than my tone.

Its a hartke ha3500 , a roscoe bass.

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Could be a slightly warped (from overloading) voice coil/former that's scraping the sides of the magnet's voice coil gap. Try the amp with a known good speaker and see if the problem is still there. If it is, then you may have an under-biased amp, where you're hearing crossover distortion.

3. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    definitely need to try with some other speakers... I wish I knew half of the vocabulary you used though :)

it was weird: I was playing a show recently with my microkorg runnin HOT. I heard a horrible sound that I thought was a torn speaker, but upon further examination it was actually just something resonating nearby crazily. point being if I was running keyBass that hot, I could guess I ****ed SOMETHING up

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The crossover distortion he's talking about has to do with how the power section of the amp handles wave being amplified. Deep tech stuff, not something you fix yourself.

Yeah, try different amp, speaker, bass, etc. one at a time to get down to which part is making the noise and go from there. If you use effects like you mentioned, try it without them, then add them in one at a time.

5. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    I have a Sansamp bddi that I recently plugged into the effects return as a preamp.. I wonder if that could have caused a problem? thereve been kinda strange electrical issues around me lately, but most of them got put off on bad cables and dirty pots, but some seem almost phantom-like in their inexplicability. Any chance that the 9v power could be messing stuff up?

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Weak power supply...low battery...bad ground or other issue with a cable or outlet/circuit you're plugged into. It's why you have to try different things one at a time...scientific process of elimination....otherwise, if you change a bunch of things at once, you don't know which one caused the problem. If your bass is active, a new battery might be a good place to start. Weird noises can also mean a bad ground or cable smewhere in the chain or a bad preamp tube possibly.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd start by taking the sansamp and anything else out and going just straight bass----->amp---->speaker and go from there.

8. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Yea, luckily im a mathguy, so ive been ruling stuff out effectively

Did those.. Tried another [combo] amp, no problem even w the sansamp...

Sigh.. any good suggestions on how or where to get a good tech? the couple of guitar shops around here are notorious for terrible amp work- holding it too long without sending it, trying to fix stuff they aren't qualified for, or worse..

Would a GC be a good idea? I need this thing back quickly... Theres certainly the possibility of finding a tech in NOLA

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Does it make the noise when you're not playing or only when playing? Can you rig some wires up to the combo amp so you can test your amp and speaker separately?

With your speaker unplugged, push in gently on each cone and see if you can hear any scraping/scratching sounds coming from inside any of the speakers. That would be voice coil rub/bad speaker.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I never had anything fixed at a GC but quality of work would depend on the individual tech working at that store, if they even have techs.

Somewhere in all those links in the tech talk sticky up there is a thread that was started looking for reputable amp techs in different parts of the country. Might be worth a look, or starting a new thread about if you get it narrowed down to the amp. Several "tube techs" in my town, but a lot of them give you funny looks if you bring in an SS amp. If mine go down and I can't figure it out myself, I'd prolly just ship it to B-string if it was one I wanted to keep.:)

Anyway, worry about that if it gets narrowed down to the amp. Speakers are much easier to diagnose/self repair.

11. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Update: been hard to get a lot done because ive had to continue moving forward with gigs, ie ignoring my own amps problems.

Anyway, decided it was the speaker(s) and not the head..

Still hear distorted sound, just at a super low volume, almost unnoticeable

12. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    I pushed on 1 of the speakers, and it definitely made a scratchy sound.
    Ergo, I should _________
    Replace the speaker?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Either that or get it reconed, whichever is cheaper.

14. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    I wasnt sure they were different things ha. Never had to deal with speakers before, adventure time :)

I understand (i think) that you can't just throw any.ol speaker in an enclosure, right?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    While that's true, I'm also finding there's a lot more leeway with it than cab designers might let on. You still can't throw any old speaker in there and call it a day, but while the speaker may not be working at 100% optimal according to a cab designer, the result can often turn out well if you put them in a cab. Bit of a crapshoot doing it that way, so if you're unsure you should drop the bread on a certain set of speakers, ask first.