Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Toronto, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Comakazi, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Hey guys. Not sure if this is in the right place but oh well, sorry.
    Anyway I was wondering if there are any TB'ers in Toronto, eh? I'm going up there next week and was wondering if there any cool clubs to go to, or places for good music, whatever. I've never been there before and was wondering what it's like and what some cool places are to go.
    Thanks!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I dig the hell out of Tranta'! Even though I'm from the midwest US as you are, I got around there. Some clubs are open till dawn, which, IMO, rocks.

There's a lot of action on Queen St - The Horseshoe Tavern was a good rock club when I was there. They were the first place in Canada to have The Police. Other clubs you might check out are the Bovine Sex Club (doesn't even have a sign out front; has a punk atmosphere), Fluid, the Silver Dollar Room, a blues club where the Stones played, Lee's Palace on Bloor with live music, The Bamboo. Guvernment is this huge warehouse with a massive sound system. There's a lot more, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.
    In case you're hungry, clubs in Ontario have to serve food in order to sell alcohol.

Fretless Friday is one TB'er I can think of who lives there. He'd be good to ask as he seems to like a good time.

3. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Thanks. I'm spending a full week out there and was wanting to get in at lest one night of "night life".
    Just cruise around and see what the town is like, you know if there are any music stores I should check out? I tell you, I'm looking forward to getting out of the States for a bit! Woo-Hoo!

4. rickbass

Sorry, I didn't get to any music stores.

Even without a nice city there, it will be nice to just go someplace that's isn't as hot and dry as Lucifer's barbeque like the midwest has been.

If you only have one night out, Queen Street will give you a number of places to check out with walking distance. The streets of downtown Tranta' have a lot of people on them late at night......just like a real city! Another nice change from the midwest - you don't look out of place if you get a little dressed up.

5. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Jeez, you're telling me! It's been too d*** hot here. I want to go North! Heh, heh. I'll definitely check Queen St, sounds good. I don't know what I'll do, a real city? You mean nobody will ask me what wedding I'm going to if I'm wearing khakis instead of my "finest" sleeveless tee shirt (preferably faded black) and cut-off jean shorts?
    Whoa...

6. If you like jazz stop by the Senator and the Montreal Bistro (its in TO!) The best music store in Toronto is Club Bass. It is a boutique store that carries high end gear. You will have to call Dave ahead of time to drop by ( www.clubbass.ca ) If you have time drive up the 401 to Montreal. You won't want to go back to Toronto!

7. Never been to club bass, must check that out sometime, other good music stores are steves music on queen street (www.stevesmusic.com) and long&mcquade on boor street. (www.long-mcquade.com) Bring lots of cash as your US dollars will go farther up here. You get about 1.55 canadan dollars for your us dollar. No deal on the gasoline however.
    eddie

8. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Sweet! I'm checking all that stuff out. I love Jazz so I'm going to check out those places. I have family moving there so I definitely am going to get up there more often so I can check Montreal out and other stuff.
    OOhhhhhh Caaaaannnaaaada!!!!! heh, heh.....

9. rickbass

LMAO!!!

Hot damn! Frum the sownd duvvit, yew must be a goldang innernashnul jetsetter. If I wuz ta show'd up at wurk at Roydell and Marjean's Bait & Brew in khakis, they'd say, "Hey boy, San Fransissyco's thet a way!"

basseddie reminded me of something - If you plan on spending a few hundred/thousand you can get the money back you paid in tax/VAT. I think, (I didn't handle it), there is some kind of form you fill out and send in with receipts and the government reimburses you.

10. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    No kidding, and that's through the Canadian govt? Sweet! I just might have to reconsider what all I'm taking with me! I can forgo a credit card payment this month and spend it on some gear instead.
    Anybody else smell that?? I think it's GAS!!!!

11. rickbass1 i think is correct about getting your gst back (thats government sales tax) or as we sometimes affectionatly call it "the gouge and screw tax". Dont know if you can get the pst(provicial sales tax) back. Pick up the forms at the border when you come up. Be prepared to pay 15% tax on most stuff you buy, gst=7%, pst=8%, but if you can get the gst back your doing better than us.
    eddie