1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Toronto bassist Roberto Occhipinti

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by willgroove2, Apr 27, 2009.

1. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I was in Toronto over the weekend,I had a meeting on Friday and my wife is from there so we decided to stay the weekend and visit family. I have been to Toronto several times but always gigging so I have never have time to check out any music but this time I decided to go out and catch a band or 2.

Friday night I found myself at the Rex on Queen st,they had the Dave Young octet but Dave young himself was not there and the trombone player lead the band. Dave's sub was Roberto Occhipinti and I really enjoyed him. They played various arrangements and the sound of the five horns was pretty sweet. I don't really like doing the whole "Hey I'm a bass player too" thing and it was packed So I didn't get a chance to meet Roberto but really was impressed with his sound and groove.

The next night I went to a place called the Orbit room up in little Italy on College where a bassist I was familiar with named Rich brown has a house gig on Saturdays. When I got there they said that the regular Sat band had another gig and a band called Soul Stew was playing. So I said ok I'll check it out and who should the bass player be but Roberto Occhipinti again! This time I got a chance to meet him and he even let me check out his '62 jazz bass. The thing that impressed me was what he was playing Friday had nothing to do with what he was doing
    sat(R&B) but he did both thing's well.Due to family I get up to GTA 2-3 times a year and will definitely try to check out as as many different musicians as I can.