Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Toronto TB'ers........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike N, May 13, 2004.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Now that the finishing touches are being put on the Fast Ferry (running between Toronto and Rochester, NY), I'm wondering if your local media is making a big deal over it? It seems there isn't a newscast or newspaper here that doesn't endlessly blather on about this big boat, and how great it's supposedly going to be.

Already behind schedule (after damage from hitting a dock in NYC), and now with some sort of engine issues (apparently covered under warranty), They're still not sure when it's supposed to make it's maiden voyage. And, they've already raised the ticket prices and it hasn't sailed yet.

Personally I think it's a huge waste of money (money would have been better off spent on our pathetic heathcare and education systems), but what is the general view of the Toronto residents?

2. you hear the odd thing... I really don't think most people care

just my observation

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I watch a lot of Toronto news (City, Global, etc.) and rarely see this issue mentioned. Politics and crime seem to make up the bulk of the local news. I used to watch a lot of Rochester news until my cable company reconfigured it's NBC/ABC/CBS affiliates away from Rochester and towards Detroit(1).

I wonder what the benefit is for Rochester having this ferry - wouldn't it just entice Rochesterians away from Rochester and get them to spend thier money in Tdot?

(1). I always thought that Rochester was a pretty violent place based on the typical daily newscasts....and then I started watch the Detroit news.... :(

DD

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I would tend to agree with this.

But, our city officials (and supporters of the ferry) seem to think that Canadians are going to come by the boatloads to spend money here. I personally dont see it happening on a large scale.

Besides, with how long it's going to take to load the ferry, the customs/border patrol checks, the ticket prices etc........I would think it would take less time/money/hassle to drive to Toronto (or vice versa) than it would to take the ferry.

There's concern over the $53 million county budget defecit, the school officials are talking about closing schools to narrow their budget gap, were closing hospitals because we dont have the $ to keep them open.........but they find a way to get some $40 million boat and build a soccer stadium (that we dont need, especially since the taxpayers recently funded a baseball stadium that we werent suppsed to), and now they want to build an underground bus depot that we really dont need.

It's nice to see the state/county officials really care about the state of the state :rolleyes:

Too bad that NY cant do what California did and hold a recall election and get the idiots out of office :mad:

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

What? Detroit violent? Dude you don't know what you're.......(Whaaa?....who's there?..........don't come any closer, I have a gun.......I'll use it I swear.......No!! Stop!! Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    LOL!

Funny thing - in today's local (Ottawa) paper, there was mention of the fast ferry: buried in the business pages, a 1/4 b&W photo of the boat and a 25 word caption. That's it. I guess the boat is in Toronto for retrofitting?

One word comes to mind when I think about this ferry and the budget woes in Rochester: "Monorail...Monorail...Monorail!" :bassist:

Maybe I'm just naive, but there's so much to do and see in Toronto, I can't imagine hopping a boat to go to Rochester, other than having the experience of crossing the lake itself.

DD

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The "Breeze" arrived in Toronto yesterday and was headline news on all the local stations. This is one huge boat.

They've set the prices at $58.00 for car and driver. Extra passengers are $32.00 each. If you want to bike, it's $14.00
    Trip time is approx 2 hrs 20 mins one way. These are the Canadian prices.

No bookings will be accepted until June 19th. This gives them the time (they need) to finish the docking facilities in Toronto and make the repairs to the hull and tinker with the engines.

It will be interesting to see how successful the service will be.

There was some concern about the lack of resources to come to the ships rescue during the winter months should it become disabled in the middle of lake Ontario. The American's have the only icebreaker available.

Cheers,
    TD
    :cool:

8. I think if Rochester is boring then the only reason to use the ferry will be to cut down on the time it takes to drive to New York City. :rolleyes:
    I will probably take a trip on the thing though just to see how badly I can get harrassed by border security :eek:

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I used to live in Toronto and would have loved a ferry. I got so sick of having to drive around the lake......