Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Torres Super Midrange.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrelwood, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    I love to make versatile passive electronics on a guitar. I just read about the Torres Super Midrange control, that passively boosts and cuts midrange on an electric guitar. I've been doing some 5Spice analysing, and I think I'm in the right direction, but I don't have the slightest idea how is it all made with a one pot.

Does anyone of You have the Torres mid control? I'd love to hear how are the parts connected.

Thanks!

-Aki.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Don't know about this piece.

To my knowledge, what distinguishes an active from a passive circuit functionally is that passive is cut only and active is boost and or boost/cut. Therefore anything that boost cannot by definition be passive.

3. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    Basicly yes, but due to the fact that the pickup is an inductor, it will "resonate" with certain components. Simpliest resonance comes when a tone cap is replaced with a smaller value, it will boost midrange when the tone is at 0. This is quite audible in some electric guitars, the boost appears when the tone is turned from 1 to 0.

I actually did find the schematic for the Torres, and even found a mod made to keep the "regular" position more transparent. I've been simulating different values, and have now found values that do work more like I want them to. For what I can read from the simulator results, this is a kick-ass system! Ofcourse, the boost (and cut) curve will both be very rough, and the cut is at a different frequency area, and the frequency curve does get quite weird.

However, boosting certain areas of the frequency IS possible with a passive system. It will partially happen at the expence of other frequencies. Also, I was able to boost bass and treble while cutting the mids, so it should be quite a marvellous slap contour.

http://www.torresengineering.com/torsupmid.html
    http://www.firebottle.com/fireforum/fireBB.cgi?cfg=gt&forum=gt&thread=307059-306929.msg

-Aki.