Tort blocks/binding?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthew.murray, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Does (can) any one make a J bass neck with tort blocks and binding? I saw this on a custom guitar once, but hours of search bring nothing for bass.

2. Sorry no info, just bumping this back up the top, cause I'm really curious as well

3. Fender do them on their '75 re-issue and 50th anniversary Jazz basses.

4. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Surely not tort? I've seen white plastic binding n mother o pearl blocks. In fact my 75 ri has that, but never seen tort

5. Pickguard Tort is a plastic, and I wouldn't think it would serve as a fret marker - far too soft, so I assumed he meant mother of pearl which is hard enough.

Funnily enough as a child of the '70s (I got my Precision in 1973 when I was 15) I assumed Jazz Basses came with bound necks and block markers as standard and the re-issues were the ones that didn't :).

6. Conce

Conce

Nov 20, 2008
  7. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    warmoth is probably the best solution.
    i have a local luithier who does stuff like that, ive considered it...

8. No, I really meant tort. Just like the pickguards. By the way, Fender doesn't use real MOP, it is also plastic. I believe "Mother of Toilet" is the running joke...

9. I have seen a Fender acoustic bass that had tort binding... anyone know of an electric neck with tort blocks or binding?

Warmoth doesn't offer tort, but is it possible that they would do a custom job?

10. +1. I've made quite a few pickguards and it's VERY soft.

Now......real tortoise shell, backed with gold leaf would look awesome :D

11. I was going to say, if you saw this on an old custom guitar there is a chacne its real tortoise. THis can also be used if it was from a stock of tort shell harvested before it was made illegal AFAIK, but like real ivory, it would be uber expensive.

To do blocks with PG plastic I would think you would need to put some sort of hard acrylic or expoxy over a very thin peice of tort, which would probably require the inlay to be deeper than normal. Again this is all speculation, but I would expect the pg plastic tort to scratch up pretty bad. This sounds very very cool to me, but also sounds like it woudl be quite labor/money intensive.

12. bump

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
  14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    If you used pickguard material, surely you could clearcoat the neck, then hadness becomes a non issue....

15. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would even think that a liberal coating of the inlays with cyanoacrylate glue would add some hardness and give some protection.

16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That would work too.

Funny thing, I'm wondering who presses the strings hard enough to not only touch the inlays, but to grind into them....

17. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I certainly don't, but I guarantee there are lots of players who do. You can see all the fretboard damage on pics of old instruments, both basses and guitars. I would think that steel roundwounds would be especially tough. I would also guess that tuning down and decreasing the tension would make it more likely to damage the inlays.

Sorry...just rambling.

18. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I wouldn't expect softness of the inlay material to be a problem. My strings never touch the inlays or wood on the neck in any case and I suspect the same would be true for most people. Fretting all the way to the wood would take a lot of pressure! I've even heard of stick-on inlays that work as far as I know. You could take a real close look and see if there is any evidence of the string touching anything other than the frets.

Now I'm curious... Do some of you guys really get wear on your necks between the frets?

FYI here's a link for the inlay stickers, might be fun to mess with sometime and you could see for sure if soft inlays would be a problem for you. http://www.inlaysticker.com/

19. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    When I saw the pics on the inlay sticker website it made me think of my guitar fretboards too. I was thinking I had some wear from the skinny strings. I went and took a look and guess what I found? There's some wear BETWEEN the strings, but the only actual string wear I can find is on the frets. Weird, but think about it. All those old maple necks have dark spots between the strings. Ever curious, I searched up some pics on fretboard wear. Check this one out on the EB forum. http://www.ernieball.com/forums/mus...-first-ernie-ball-music-man-4.html#post667633 Obviously a lot of wear there but look at the wear on the frets and you can see that the wear on the wood is between the strings. Must be from fingernails??

Doesn't mean anything in particular, just thought it was interesting enough to share....

20. I'm sure Steve Cyr would do it. Shoot him an email, and he could advise on it. He loves the unusual requests. I'm very pleased with the neck I bought from him. Great prices too.

www.cyrguitars.com

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021