1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Torted my Godin Acoustibass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, Aug 26, 2007.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I felt that the metal control plate on the face of my Godin Acoustibass detracted from an otherwise beautiful instrument, and since I had an old broken tort pickguard, I decided to try to make my own tort control plate. I used my dremel tool and a set of files to cut and shape it. I made a few mistakes with the dremel tool, so I used 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit wet sandpaper on the scratched area and then buffed and polished it with Meguiars PlastiX cleaner/polish– used for removing scratches and polishing clear plastic headlights and plastic convertible, boat and airplane windows, etc.

I think it turned out pretty well, but for the amount of time it took me I would have been better off sending the metal plate to a custom pickguard maker.

Before:
    th_IMG_7522.
    th_IMG_7528.

After:
    th_IMG_7584.
    th_IMG_7587.
    th_IMG_7588.

2. Great job! Makes a world of difference. Godin, are you listening?

3. RG

RG

May 11, 2000
    central Illinois
    I too think it is an improvement. Too bad Godin didnt make the control plate with a little more curve, like the bass.
    I didnt realize there is a product like PlastiX. Good to know.
    Great job, looks good.

4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    much more fitting for the overall vibe of the bass. well done!

5. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    That is a 78% improvement in looks :)

SHARP!

Glenn

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Hey, I know that took a LOT of work and patience. Congratulations on a job well done. It looks very nice, at least a thousand times better than the metal control plate!

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Kinda makes you wonder why Godin hasn't done that stock.....
    Very nice.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Statistics can be used to prove anything! ;)

...but great looking plate, and a vast improvement.

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Great job!

Marshall

10. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Thanks for the comments, guys. It does help to make the work worth the effort.

The Acoustibass is a discontinued model that was replaced with the A4 which eliminated the front control plate.

I think of it as my "poor man's" Rob Allen/Rick Turner.

11. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Hey! You forgot the lettering :)

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Nice work. I actually like the old one better; though, it looks like a 57 p-bass with a gold guard!

13. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA

Apparently, they are. This just in from Godin guitars:

"That's great! I think it looks cooler than the original plate...

Michel
    Godin Guitars"

I had sent an e-mail thanking them for sending me a wiring diagram I had requested and which they promptly sent. Just for kicks I attached a couple pics of the tort control plate.

Seem like I found an old thread on here complaining about Godin's slow response to customer service requests. I think I can state that that is no longer a problem. They've been nothing but fast and helpful with their replies.

14. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    If I were Godin, I'd be more worried about the location of my sliders...What a dumb place to put the controls. You did a fantastic job of making something bad look good!

15. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    It's not the only place they missed the boat either.
    I love the way these things sound....it's not an exaggeration saying it's one of my favorites of all time. I never bought one though because of how neck heavy they were....and still are, just not as bad as the first ones. It's always bummed me out to know a bass that sounds so great....that has the potential to become a longtime main axe is something I'd never be able to play in comfort if I had one. Balance and control placement that have more to do with how humans function mechanically are essential and shouldn't be something a mook like me needs to point out to someone with the experience of Godin.

{end rant}