Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tortoise pick-guard question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I'm looking to buy a new pickguard, spef the red tortoise one at www.warmoth.com. Except that, it's made out of celluloid and in big bold letters it says:

Celluloid: Made in Italy, this is the GENUINE stuff.
    NOTE: Very flammable. Celluloid is a solvent based plastic and it tends to shrink over the years. Many vintage guitars are plagued with this phenomenon.

This makes it sound seriously scary to have. But none of the other pickguards are pretty like the tortoise ones :( Is it really not as dangerously crappy as it sounds?

Oh, and: I have alot of these little star stickers, they're just barley bigger than my fret dots. If I put them over them, will this hurt anything? I know they might peel off over time, but I don't mind ;/

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I don't think that either of those two things should really be a problem. If after many years your pickguard starts to shrink, you can just replace it for a minimal cost. So I say go for it.