Torzal5 by Little Guitar Works, I got mine!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edervjo, May 16, 2017.

1. edervjo

edervjo

Nov 19, 2009
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    Torzal5 by Little Guitar Works, I got mine!!

What can I say, you've all seen them, read about them and wondered how the hell does that thing work.?? The Torzal is real, and it plays fantastic! How do I know, ? I now own one. Yippee!
    I have always been a 1 bass guy and for years that bass was an '81 Aria Pro2 SB1000, played that sucker for over 25 years before switching to a 5er, but it always sounded great, our DNA have merged. Downside,... it is close to 11 pounds, and my neck/shoulder were feeling it. Switching to the new 5er was lighter, but it was a 35" scale, which didn't help my shoulder issues any. So, I researched ergo basses, and found Jerome and Little Guitar Works. I knew a custom was gonna cost a lot, but I also knew that if I was to play into my old age,(I'm 53 now) it was a worthy investment, as it would be the last bass I buy, as far as I was concerned.
    So, with the help of my wife's powers of persuasion, as she convinced some friends to cover the deposit for me, I just made payments as I (impatiently) waited for my turn on Jerome's' build list, at the time was around 18 months. My biggest regret is not doing it earlier!

Amazingly light, incredibly balanced, and shaped just so, it almost disappears into your body. Jerome's workmanship is second to none, the attention to detail, and quality wood working skills cannot be praised enough.Yet as light as it feels, it is also as solid! Holds it's tuning like a champ.
    He is more than accommodating in design customization's as well, I went with a wide nut/narrow bridge setup much like my Aria Pro2, except in a 5 string format. Also you get to select your woods, and electronics. Maple/walnut neck, walnut back maple split layer and Zebrano front. They come in satin finish as stock, but I HAD to upgrade to a high polished nitrocellulose lacquer. I think it shows the curves better…. He even included a design logo of mine on the truss cover.

THEN there is the Torzal twisted neck, that, at first, hypnotizes you if you look at it too long, LOL, but when you play it, you see why it works so well.
    The +12* rotation away from you at the nut gives such a relaxed wrist position that fretting at the first 5 frets is a breeze, combined with the balance makes a 34" almost feel like a 32", Jerome moves the body forward/ neck rearward so you are better centered, and the reach becomes much more comfy and natural feeling. I can't stop touching it! I also had him include an adjustable front strap button, that extends up to 4" to find the perfect balance, height , wrist position possible.

Get this, after I ordered it, I was struck with Brachial Neuritis of my right forearm, have little use of my thumb now, (still am recovering,) but all these added ergo features has me playing again! To me, that itself justifies the expense.
    What did take a bit more getting used to was the -20* angle at the bridge, it tilts up towards you. I play finger style, and with that thumb paralysis issue I mentioned was banging frets a bit until I adjusted to being so much more "on top" of the string. Now I don't notice it at all, though I feel it does increase the amplitude of your note a bit, as the strings are getting plucked more in/out from the pickup, as opposed to across the pickup. The tone of this one is thick, yet punchy with the growl I like.
    Pickups? Torzals come with Nordstrands of your choice, but I am an EMG guy, so I went with an MM in it's stock position, as well as CS soap bar in front with the EMG BQC pre amp, vol, balance stacked treb/bass and stacked mid/freq. It's basically a hopped up Stingray, by intention. Still has an amazingl range that smoothly transitions as you roll through the blend pot. From open, woody tone to punchy MM growl, seamlessly. I find my sweet spot at 3/4 rear MM pickup, 1/4 front for a bit of cush to the crunch. Yummy!!

Fanboy, uh, yeah!, but this is real, it looks great, feels great, and plays fantastic. Spendy? yeah, mine was just under 5k, but what is playing worth to you?

Little Guitar Works | Torzal Standard Bass

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Glad to hear that you found a good match to keep you playing. And it's quite the looker as well.

edervjo likes this.
  3. Oh man congratulations... I know the feeling as I just received one from Jerome too. It's the best! In fact, I'm pretty sure I played yours. I told him I was more interested in EMGs than Nordstrands and he was like well I just finished this bass with EMGs so I cruised over to check it out. I think I played it about 2 minutes and was, yeah these pickups are where it's at. So mine has the same EMGs (and sounds great). Enjoy it! Definitely can't recommend Jerome's work enough, simply exquisite, and on par with anything else out there. Like you said, the only regret is not getting it sooner!

edervjo likes this.
  4. edervjo

edervjo

Nov 19, 2009
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    Ooooh, yours must be the fanned fret 5 w/spalded maple!! Nice!! And thanks for the compliments, Maybe we should start a Torzal owners club.
    Please post some pics for our audience, yours is off the charts! And so glad that mine was there to solidify your decision. Jerome said that he was showing it off to another client, and then you wanted the same config. That pickup combo, and placement was something I pondered for a while, as i always loved the sound of a Stingray. But I also like versatility, so added the CS. I was coming off 2 previous basses EMG equipped as well. Love their stuff.
    So glad you are enjoying yours!! Post pics!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  5. Sure, my pictures suck so I'll just go with the ones Jerome provided. The fidelity and tone on this thing is almost intimidating, I've had to clean up my technique for solo playing. It's making me a better player already!

18698091_10154392920086046_3238243754802038447_n.jpg

18670862_10154392920156046_8045575818181273202_n.jpg

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

These are always cool, I would love to try one some day. I kind of regret not buying the 6-string fully loaded one that got sold for what I thought was really cheap on here a couple years back. The member had it made as a big "dream bass" too. Last I heard, the new owner was never parting with it. I wish I could remember either of the TBers names...

7. J Posega

J Posega Cat Dad and Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm still dumbfounded that the original owner flipped this, and for such a steep discount over new. SOLD - Little Guitar Works Torzal 6 String - 31" Short Scale w/ internal GK-3B pickup

I think a custom from Little is the only expensive bass that I would choose over a Dingwall. Torzal twist, fanned frets, it's an ergonomic dream.

8. edervjo

edervjo

Nov 19, 2009
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    Here's mine!

Attached Files:

9. edervjo

edervjo

Nov 19, 2009
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    "I think a custom from Little is the only expensive bass that I would choose over a Dingwall. Torzal twist, fanned frets, it's an ergonomic dream.[/QUOTE]"

Do it! I giggle every day putting mine on, so light and just fits in soooo nice, my bass friends that have tried it, call it cheating, it plays too easy....and in my opinion, a true custom, not only the twist, but my spec on the electronics, the woods, heel design, nut and bridge string spacing. Jerome is a master craftsman, as well as a great guy and cool dude.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  10. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    Can you do youtube review of this bass. I had surgeries on both wrists due CTS so i would like to try this bass but I dont live in USA

TheEmptyCell likes this.