Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

toss the busted hartke, or fix it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Jul 30, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    so i've got this little 1-15 hartke combo.
    i've never really like the sound that the combo
    produces, and yesterday (frown) i noticed the speaker
    is taking the short road to destruction.

NOW
    i'm thinking about salvaging the little devil.
    anyone know about these carvin 10" subs? or maybe
    something similar. i'm betting that i can replace the
    mounting plate and put 2 10" subs where one 15"
    has been (i'd rather a 2-10 combo then a 1-15 if i had
    my choice). what do you all think about this idea?
    ever tried it or thought about it? know of any better
    speakers in the price range?
    oh, this amp produces 140watts, but i can't remember
    at how many ohms.

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    oh here this is the amp. this page even lists the specs.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'd be a little surprised if you could fit 2 10" speakers into that combo (just by glancing at it... seems like they'd be a tight fit, if they would fit at all). Have you measured it out?

One thing to remember... the cabinet in your combo is most likely designed to work with that 15" speaker. Using different speakers that may or may not work well with that cabinet's volume or type can yield a resulting sound that you might not like.

Also, after taking a quick look at that Carvin speaker... it doesn't look like it'd be that great for bass purposes. It may work, but it seems like a big risk to try something like this, especially since you don't know how it will sound in the end.

If I were in your position (which I am somewhat, I have a Hartke Kickback 12 with a blown speaker), I would try to get your original speaker reconed or replaced. However, I tried e-mailing Hartke about it, and got no response. Has anyone had luck getting Hartke speakers fixed?

Another option would be to replace the Hartke speaker with a different (probably higher quality) speaker from another brand... one that is designed to fit the volume and type of your Hartke combo's cabinet.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hartke will replace the speaker for a price, but they want the old speaker. They don't want their speakers showing up in other places.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Do you know how I can get it replaced? E-mailing them doesn't appear to be working. :)

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    call. that is the best way. E-mailing them right now probably wouldn't work. End of the workweek...

Call them during normal business hours, they'll help you.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I e-mailed them a few weeks ago and never got a response. :(

I'll try calling one of these days.

8. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    on carvin's page they say that speaker is made for bass amps and pro audio.

cabinet volume, yeah i've built a few boxes. for a rig this small, i don't think even a cubic foot or two would make much difference. besides, you can compensate with different port
    sizes.

as for the fit... i think if you put the two tens in diagonally they would probably fit, but no i haven't measured the cab. i have a couple of tens laying around that i can mock up.

also, a friend of mine runs a carvin rig, and he says his amp (bass) cab has those exact speakers. he seems to really like his setup.

i also noticed that the amp used to drive this combo is also used to drive their 2-10 combo, so i don't think that is going to be an issue. what i really need is some specifics on hartke's 10" subs, so i can compare with the carvins.

any other thoughts?

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Just a little follow-up post... I got a response from Hartke about a replacement speaker for my Kickback 12.

They want $150 + my old speaker, and I guess I have to pay to ship it to them too. Wow, that's not worth it at all.

I wanted to get the stock speaker replaced so I could sell it and not have to worry about the decreased resale value of having a different speaker in it, but now I'm not so sure it's even worth doing.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you could almost buy a whole nother combo for that much! Just experiemtn with speakers, I suppose.